Welcome to Sustainable CMC
Be a partner in helping create a sustainable setting for higher education
CMC is committed to sustainability. This means we intend to reduce the college’s Greenhouse Gas Emissions by 12.5% every 5 years until carbon neutrality is reached in the year 2050. For a detailed analysis of how we will achieve this goal please see our Climate Action Plan (pdf).
Here are just a few of the sustainability efforts initiated collegewide:
- Recycle newspaper, magazines, office paper, cardboard and commingled containers.
- Replaced incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent or LED bulbs.
- Replaced conventional thermostats with programmable.
- Conducted a professional energy audit.
- Recycle phone books, printer cartridges, cell phones, hazardous waste, building materials, plastic bags and batteries.
- Establish and maintain employee green team.
- Adopt and use green cleaning products and paper products made from recycled fibers.
- In addition, the Leadville and Rifle campuses generate 1/3 of their power from 100 KW solar farms.
- Check out our newest certificate, Sustainability Leadership.
Track Energy Use and Spending at Colorado Mountain College Buildings
The Clean Energy Economy for the Region (CLEER) Building Energy Navigator tracks energy use and energy spending on an hourly, daily, monthly and yearly basis. The site displays data for 19 CMC buildings including our three residence halls. Follow and compare CMC usage of:
- BTU Energy Use
- CO2 Emissions from Energy Use
- Cost of Energy Use
Learn more about CLEER and the Building Energy Navigator.