Frequently Asked Questions about the FAFSA

Will my parents’ contribution be less if any of my brothers or sisters are also continuing their education beyond high school?
Generally speaking, yes. Your parents’ contribution might be lower if both parents are working, and about 50% lower if they are helping more than one of their children through college or career school at the same time.

My parents are divorced (separated). Which parent should complete the financial aid application?
The parent who should complete the application is the one with whom you lived for the longest period during the last 12 months. If you didn’t live with either parent, or lived with each parent for an equal number of days, the application should be filled out by the parent who provided the most support for you during the last 12 months. “Support” means money for such things as housing, food, clothes, transportation, medical and dental care, and school.

If I have a guardian, is he or she supposed to file a financial aid application? No.  Grandparents, foster parents and legal guardians are not considered parents on the FAFSA unless they have legally adopted you.

If I live with a grandparent, should he or she file a financial aid application for me?
It depends on the situation, but usually not. Check the definition of “parents” in the financial aid office at the school you attend. If you are simply living apart from your parents but they still support you, they should file the application for you.

Is a step-parent expected to complete the financial aid application even though they feel no responsibility to support my education?
Federal programs and CMC expect a step-parent’s information to be included on the financial aid application.

What is satisfactory academic progress?
The Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, mandates institutions of higher education establish a standard of satisfactory academic progress for students who receive financial aid. This standard applies to the student’s entire academic history, whether Title IV aid was received or not. In order to remain eligible to receive aid at Colorado Mountain College, students must meet the standards specified for acceptable academic performance and for Satisfactory Academic Progress toward the completion of their program of study.  A detailed Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy is available to each student on the FA Policies – Satisfactory Academic Progress.