Placement Testing at Colorado Mountain College
Use placement testing to help reach your goals
Enrolling in the appropriate college level courses is very important to be a successful learner at Colorado Mountain College. Placement testing is an important step in choosing those courses that will help you be successful in reaching your educational goals.
According to the State of Colorado, all first-time degree-seeking students, as well as students seeking select certificates, must be assessed in reading comprehension, English, and mathematics. For more information on placement testing, contact one of the following staff members at your CMC location:
Placement Tests Accepted
The following tests are used by CMC for placement testing purposes.
What is Accuplacer?
Accuplacer is a test used for placement purposes and is administered to potential and current students to assess academic levels prior to enrollment. The test will assess your content knowledge in reading, sentence skills, and mathematics. All new degree and certificate students are required to take the placement tests.
See the Accuplacer Schedule Calendar
There is no charge for taking the Accuplacer test.
CMC Testing Locations and Contacts
Tests are administered at all CMC campuses and sites on an appointment basis or in groups prior to each semester. Contact your local campus to schedule your appointment.See the ACT and SAT College Codes for Colorado Mountain College Campuses
Remote Testing Process
Distance Testing via B-Virtual Inc.
$25 fee to B-Virtual Inc., includes all test subjects per session.
Steps to completing a virtual test:
- Student applies with CMC online or at any campus.
- CMC ID # is issued to Student.
- Student e-mails firstname.lastname@example.org
- Requesting an Accuplacer Voucher Number (please put in subject line)
- Student’s name that was used on the CMC enrollment form
- CMC ID # (7 digit number usually starting with a zero)
- Birth Date
- Which test subjects — English, Reading, Math and Computer Skills. (Note: If in doubt, pick all four subjects or check with college advisor.)
- Please allow 3 business days for the Voucher to be issued.
While you are waiting for the voucher to be issued, we recommend that you view the B-Virtual website (do not register until you have your CMC voucher) to watch helpful videos and test your computer system to assure it meets the following requirements:
- A well-working computer with 1 GB of RAM or higher
- A high-speed internet connection (3MBps). Wireless is acceptable; however a wired-connection is preferred
- A webcam with 640×480 video pixel resolution (a laptop camera is acceptable)
- Working speakers connected to the computer
- A microphone connected to the computer (consider a webcam with a built-in microphone)
- Flash player version 7 or higher
- Browser compatibility: IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari
Study with free practice tests! Get the free Accuplacer app at accuplacer.collegeboard.org/students
- Click on the yellow tab “Practice.”
- Pick the free practice tests for the Classic
- Download and use the Accuplacer Study app.
- Unfortunately, free practices tests are not available for the Computer Skills Placement test. Please search online for study guides or try microsoft.com/enable/training and for Excel use the help search for training videos.
- Student receives their CMC Accuplacer Voucher (Good for 90 days).
- Upon receipt of CMC Accuplacer Voucher, student goes to accuplacerlive.onlineproctornow.com
- Register with B-Virtual
- Pay B-Virtual their $25.00 per session fee (keep 6 digit reference handy)
- Select your testing date
- Enter 8 character CMC voucher number during the scheduling of your test
- When prompted enter the 6 digit reference from your online payment from B-Virtual
- Student receives e-mail confirmation from B-Virtual and will be able to proceed with testing.
- The Student must present a Government Issued Photo ID via the webcam!
- Bring picture ID. You will not be permitted to test without proper identification.
- Bring your college ID number.
- Please adhere to our hours, and allow sufficient time to take your test.
- No food or drink is allowed in the testing center.
- Under no circumstances can children under 12 years of age be allowed in the testing center or left unattended in the hallway.
- All cell phones and beepers must be turned off upon entering the testing center.
Exemptions from Placement Testing
- Students who have earned a bachelor’s or associate’s degree.
- Students who have previously been assessed at a Colorado public postsecondary institution.
- Students who have successfully completed basic skills instruction in mathematics, writing, or reading are exempt from the requirement for assessment in that subject area only.
- Students who have successfully completed a college-level course in English are exempt from the requirement for assessment in English and reading.
- Students who have successfully completed a college-level course in mathematics are exempt from the requirement for assessment in mathematics.
Retest Policy and Requirements
CMC students wishing to retest after they have completed any self-remediation must sign-up with the front desk staff. Only one retest per subject per semester is allowed. Students must wait a minimum of one week to retake a test. The highest test score will be used to place students into the appropriate course(s). Please see study links below.
Testing for Students with Disabilities
If you are a student with disabilities, please contact the Disability Services Coordinator for your campus for information on testing accommodations.
See CMC Disabilities Services Staff to find your campus coordinator.