Residency and Tuition Classifications at CMC

How to determine whether you are a resident in the CMC District

Colorado Tuition Classification Law

Tuition classification is governed by state law (Colorado Revised Statutes 23-7-101, et seq., 1997). That applies to all public institutions of higher education in Colorado. Colorado Mountain College does not have discretion to make exceptions to the rules as defined by state law. Colorado Mountain College rigorously enforces tuition classification, as mandated by State statute. Each CMC campus has a tuition classification officer that can assist you answering your questions.

How Is Tuition Classification Determined

The information you provide on your admission application tells us if you are a resident or non-resident of Colorado for tuition purposes. To be a resident, you must have lived in Colorado for 365 consecutive days prior to the first day of classes for the term in which you wish to enroll, and you must show that you intend to make Colorado a permanent home. If you are under the age of 23, your parent’s or legal guardian’s information on the application determines your residency classification. Students under the age of 23 who are independent must complete an emancipation document to have their own address information used for classification.

For more information, visit the State of Colorado website or contact a tuition classification officer at a local Colorado Mountain College campus or site.

Colorado Mountain College District

A person who has lived in Colorado for at least one year, has met all State tuition classification requirements, and has lived in the CMC District for at least 32 days may qualify for the “in-district” tuition rate. See our district service area map.

Colorado Mountain College Service Area Classification

The Service Area Classification provides reduced tuition rates for those living outside the CMC district but within the region served by CMC. This area includes Chaffee, Grand and Jackson counties.

Our service area does not include the southern part of Routt County which is part of the Colorado Northwestern Community College’s service area.

To qualify for CMC’s service area status for tuition purposes, you must:

  • Be a Colorado state resident
  • Be domiciled in the three-county (Chaffee, Grand and Jackson) Colorado Mountain College service area for a minimum period of 32 days prior to the first day of the semester
  • If you are under the age of 23, you must prove emancipation from your parents or legal guardian if they reside out of the service or in-district area.
  • If you attend CMC as an out-of-state student and gain in-state status while residing in the service area, you may earn service area status at the time of your in-state classification.