First time users: get started with Canvas, your online class resource!
As of the fall 2012 semester, Colorado Mountain College is using Canvas by Instructure as its learning management system for all courses. As of January 31, 2013, CMC’s former Blackboard 8 system is no longer available online. Please contact the Office of Innovations, which maintains offline archives of all past CMC Blackboard courses, for assistance at (970) 947-8408 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your Canvas account is automatically activated and available when you enroll in a course or teach for CMC; instructors automatically receive a Canvas course for each course they are teaching. Students are automatically added to Canvas courses when they register. Other CMC employees who need to use Canvas and aren’t sure that they have an active Canvas account or need special assistance, please contact the Office of Innovations in Teaching and Learning or the IT Department’s Service Desk.
Use these links to obtain important information on using Canvas:
- Did you know Canvas is frequently updated? Click here to check on the latest changes to Canvas!
- Is Canvas running normally? Click here to check!–this webpage by Instructure offers breaking news on Canvas, including outages and technical issues bulletins. You can also follow @canvassupport on Twitter for news.
- Request Help - Contacts that can be used to answer your questions if the answers cannot be found at the FAQ for faculty and students listed below.
- Student FAQ – Answers to common student questions
- Faculty FAQ – Answers to common faculty questions. There are more categories in our Faculty FAQ, listed below:
- Are you a CMC instructor who needs a “sandbox” course in Canvas? Are you working with a group or committee that needs a Canvas course for collaborating?Then please fill out this form online to submit your request!
- Blackboard Collaborate Webconferencing FAQ – Help for faculty and students with using CMC’s main webconferencing tool, Blackboard Collaborate. To set up a Collaborate web-conference, please contact the IT Department’s Service Desk.
- Canvas Grading and Testing FAQ for Faculty- Help for faculty with the Canvas Gradebook, the SpeedGrader tool, and assessments in Canvas as well as information about using the Respondus LockDown Browser and the Respondus 4.0 test creation software
- Turnitin FAQ for Faculty – Turnitin is an anti-plagiarism tool which is integrated into Canvas for all courses.
- Respondus Test Authoring Software and Canvas – Guidance for faculty wishing to use the PC-only Respondus 4.0 test authoring software with Canvas to create tests. CMC instructors and staff can obtain a license from CMC to install Respondus 4.0 permanently on their computers by registering for and completing the Respondus 4.0 Licensing course offered by the Office of Innovations. Please consult the training calendar at www.coloradomtn.edu/training for that course’s details and WebAdvisor registration information.
- Respondus LockDown Browser and Canvas – Answers to common questions about using the Respondus LockDown Browser and Canvas. Please note: Respondus LockDown Browser is currently only available for use by students on CMC computers at CMC test sites. CMC’s Online Learning distributes Respondus LockDown Browser to CMC faculty; please contact Online Learning for details about acquiring a copy.
- Canvas Guides- Online tutorials to guide you through common questions. There’s a Canvas Guide for students, a Canvas Guide for instructors, and more!
- Canvas Help Center- Talk to the Canvas Community, give feedback on Canvas, request support, or browse the Canvas Guides
- Canvas Best Practice Webinar Series -A series of recorded webinars on Canvas-related topics and best practices; the Office of Innovations publicizes and lists upcoming webinars on its training calendar
- Canvas YouTube Channel - Online videos on a number of Canvas-related topics