First time users: get started with Canvas, your online class resource!
Colorado Mountain College has been using Canvas by Instructure as its learning management system for all courses since the fall 2012 semester. CMC’s former Blackboard 8 system is no longer available online. Please contact the Office of Innovations, which maintains offline archives of all past CMC Blackboard courses, for assistance at (970) 947-8408 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your Canvas account is automatically activated and available when you enroll in a course or teach for CMC; instructors automatically receive a Canvas course for each course they are teaching. Students are automatically added to Canvas courses when they register. Other CMC employees who need to use Canvas and aren’t sure that they have an active Canvas account or need special assistance, please contact the Office of Innovations in Teaching and Learning or the IT Department’s Service Desk.
Use these links to obtain important information on using Canvas:
- Did you know Canvas is frequently updated? Click here to check on the latest changes to Canvas!
- Is Canvas running normally? Click here to check!–this webpage by Instructure offers breaking news on Canvas, including outages and technical issues bulletins. You can also follow @canvassupport on Twitter for news.
- Request Help - Contacts that can be used to answer your questions if the answers cannot be found at the FAQ for faculty and students listed below.
- Student FAQ – Answers to common student questions that are specific to CMC, and links to the Canvas Student Guide and Canvas Mobile Phone Student Guide.
- Faculty FAQ – Answers to common faculty questions that are specific to CMC, and links to the Canvas Instructor Guide and Canvas Mobile Phone Instructor Guide. There are more categories in our Faculty FAQ, listed below:
- Blackboard Collaborate Webconferencing FAQ – Help for faculty and students with using CMC’s main webconferencing tool, Blackboard Collaborate. To set up a Collaborate web-conference, please contact the IT Department’s Service Desk.
- Canvas Grading and Testing FAQ for Faculty - Help for faculty with the Canvas Gradebook, the SpeedGrader tool, and Quizzes.
- Canvas Course Copying FAQ for Faculty – Guidance, instructions, and tips on how to copy and back up Canvas courses.
- Canvas Draft State FAQ -Learn more about the major new feature of “Draft State,” which is coming to Canvas on May 8. Learn what instructors should expect, which changes will accompany the introduction of Draft State, and other FAQ.
- Canvas Course Archiving FAQ. Learn more about Canvas course archiving, what instructors should expect, what students should expect, Incomplete Grading FAQ, how to check when your course will specifically get archived, and more.
- Turnitin FAQ for Faculty – Turnitin is an anti-plagiarism tool which is integrated into Canvas for all courses.
- Respondus Test Authoring Software and Canvas – Guidance for faculty wishing to use the PC-only Respondus 4.0 test authoring software with Canvas to create tests. CMC instructors and staff can obtain a license from CMC to install Respondus 4.0 permanently on their computers by registering for and completing the Respondus 4.0 Licensing course offered by the Office of Innovations. Please consult the training calendar at www.coloradomtn.edu/training for that course’s details and WebAdvisor registration information. If your Respondus software license has expired, please click here to submit a request for the current licensing information.
- Respondus LockDown Browser and Canvas – Answers to common questions about using the Respondus LockDown Browser and Canvas.
- Visit the Office of Innovations website to file common Canvas requests online. Online forms available here include the request for a sandbox course, the request to add or remove someone from your Canvas course, the request that your multiple Canvas courses be consolidated or “cross-listed”, and more.
- Canvas Help Center- Talk to the Canvas Community, give feedback on Canvas, request support, or browse the Canvas Guides