First time users: get started with Canvas, your online class resource!
To access Canvas, simply log into Basecamp with your CMC network user name and password. These are the same credentials that students use to access WebAdvisor or that faculty and staff use to check their CMC email. Once you’ve logged into Basecamp, look for the “My CMC Apps” tab and the link to Canvas at lower right. Click on that Canvas link and you can proceed to Canvas from there with no further logins required.
Your Canvas account is automatically created and activated when you register for a class or teach for CMC; instructors automatically receive a Canvas course for each course they are teaching. Students are automatically added to Canvas courses when they register. If you need help with Basecamp or Canvas, please contact the IT Department’s Service Desk.
Use these links to obtain important information on using Canvas:
- Did you know Canvas is frequently updated? Learn about the latest changes to Canvas.
- For technical support with Canvas, contact Instructure (the maker of Canvas) at 1-888-965-3645 or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org. CMC faculty, staff, and students can also contact the IT Department’s Service Desk for assistance or click on the Help icon at the lower left corner of the screen while logged into Canvas to request tech support directly from Instructure, the company that makes Canvas, with Canvas problems.
- Visit status.instructure.com to find breaking news on Canvas, including outages and technical issues bulletins. You can also follow @canvassupport on Twitter for news.
- Canvas Guides for instructors and for students – Consult the Canvas Guide first for all the answers to “how do I…?” type questions. Find detailed instructions, tutorials, videos, and more covering how to do just about everything in Canvas.
- Students – Answers to common student questions that are specific to CMC.
- Canvas instructors – For more detailed information about Canvas and common questions, please consult the Office of Innovations knowledge base at innovations.coloradomtn.edu. This knowledge base also provides information with other technologies in use at CMC, such as Cisco’s WebEx web conferencing, Feedback Studio (formerly called Turnitin), and more.
- Office of Innovations website – Faculty and staff can use the online forms at the Office of Innovations to submit common Canvas requests. Online forms available here include the request for a sandbox course, the request to add or remove someone from your Canvas course, the request that your multiple Canvas courses be consolidated or “cross-listed”, and more.
- Canvas Canvas Community – Participate in the Canvas Community, to raise questions, give feedback on Canvas, vote on feature requests, learn about Canvas, and more.