Respondus LockDown Browser and Canvas
Overview: Respondus LockDown Browser is distributed by Online Learning for free to CMC faculty and staff for their use. For students, the Respondus LockDown Browser is currently only available for use on CMC computers at CMC test sites. This software is not being distributed by CMC for students to install on their own computers at this time. CMC faculty and staff can request this software from Online Learning.
Canvas permits the use of Respondus LockDown Browser, a custom browser that locks down the testing environment within Canvas. When students use Respondus LockDown Browser they are unable to print, copy, go to another website, or access other applications. When an assessment is started, students are locked into it until they submit it for grading. Respondus LockDown Browser is not intended to replace the browser used by faculty or students within Canvas. Canvas Quizzes must be specifically configured to require Respondus LockDown Browser.
Note: Respondus LockDown Browser will maintain the “locked” testing environment even if a question contains a link to another web page. Since all links to new web pages will be blocked by the browser, be sure that all the content that students must see is available from the test itself.
- For the Respondus LockDown Browser Quick Start Guide for Instructors, please click here.
- For the Respondus LockDown Browser Quick Start Guide for Students, please click here.
Enabling Respondus LockDown Browser for a Canvas Quiz
- Enter your course’s Quizzes section. Create a quiz; or, in the list of existing quizzes, begin editing the quiz.
- Next, in the checklist of options below the quiz’s text box where you could type instructions look for the set of options under the heading “Quiz Restrictions.” Check the checkbox for “Require Respondus LockDown Browser.”
- Be sure to save your quiz’s settings by clicking on the blue “Save” button at the bottom of the screen and also re-publish your quiz if it has been published already. Remember, students can only access a published quiz and any changes you make after publishing a quiz will not be applied until you re-publish it.