Office of Innovations in Teaching and Learning
Office of Innovations for Teaching and Learning provides resources and learning opportunities for 21st century faculty development. We invite all faculty and staff to check out the opportunities available in our current training schedule. Topics include the use of Canvas, Web 2.0 tools, best instructional practices for all types of class delivery, and more. The CMC Teaching and Learning blog follows new practices and tech tool practices in higher ed and features best practices by our own CMC faculty. Want to post to the blog? Let us know and we’ll assist you with posting!
Need tech support?
Please contact the CMC Information Technologies Service Desk as your first option for any technology-based questions. Call 970-947-8438 or 1-866-642-0495, toll free, or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We host a support blog that offers guidance, answers, and support on Canvas and other tools for CMC faculty and staff. Consult this blog to find answers and more information about Canvas, Blackboard Collaborate web conferencing, and more.
Please visit Instructure’s Canvas Guides first for any “how-to” type questions. You can also request help directly with Canvas by using the help link at the top right corner of the screen while logged into Canvas. This is the best way to report error messages, bugs, and other problems with Canvas courses. The Canvas Community is a great resource for all things Canvas as well–chances are, if you have a question, feature request, or Canvas concern, someone has already addressed it in the Canvas Community.
For Canvas FAQs and other information that is specific to Colorado Mountain College’s Canvas system, please visit our support blog.
Online forms for common Canvas requests
We receive a number of common requests regarding Canvas and tools that are used with Canvas courses. Please use our online forms below to submit the following requests:
- Add someone to your Canvas course, or remove someone from your Canvas course. Want to add someone to your Canvas course or from a “sandbox” course? Want to remove someone? For any special requests regarding an existing Canvas course’s roster please submit this form.
- Please note: this form cannot be used to change who is officially teaching a class and it is also not for normal registration changes like students adding or dropping a class, nor is it for enrolling anyone who is not affiliated with CMC in a Canvas course. (For enrolling a non-CMC person in a Canvas course, please see the form on this page.)
- If you need a new demo or “sandbox” course, this is not the form for you. Please see below.
- If you need multiple people from multiple Canvas courses merged into one course, that is our cross-listing form, not this form. Please see below.
- Sandbox or “demo” Canvas courses. Do you need a new “sandbox” or demo course in Canvas for your own use or collaboration with a group? Then please fill out this form.
- Please note: this form is not for adding or removing people to an existing Canvas course- it is strictly for asking for a new sandbox course.
- This form is not for requesting help with Incompletes. Please see below for that form.
- Incomplete Grades and Canvas. Colorado Mountain College faculty and staff can file a request with the Office of Innovations in Teaching and Learning for Canvas assistance in the case of an Incomplete grade. Since the automated Canvas archiving process will set all Colorado Mountain College Canvas courses to read-only mode 45 days after their end date, it is not possible to continue to use the same Canvas course for extended periods. For any students working on Incomplete grades that need to continue actively submitting work, taking quizzes, posting in discussions, etc. we will set up a copy of the Canvas course in question and enroll the teacher and the student(s) there. The copying process will not include students’ work and grade data, so please be sure to download and record any student work, grades, etc. from your course while it is still active. Please submit this form to request assistance with your Canvas course.
- Archived Canvas course reactivation. We can temporarily reactivate an archived Canvas course for faculty/staff if necessary. Please review the policy and procedure posted below. Faculty, first submit this form then ask your instructional supervisor to approve this request and you must provide them with the approval form posted below. Also, in order to comply with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), we may need to contact you for more details before we fulfill your request.
Online form for faculty/staff to submit first.
Approval form for temporarily reactivating an archived Canvas course (to be completed by supervisors).
Policy and procedure for temporarily reactivating an archived Canvas course.
- Canvas guest access for people not affiliated with CMC. If you would like to add someone to your course who is not affiliated with CMC, please submit this request. You will need to submit paperwork to the Office of Innovations. You can find the necessary paperwork that you’ll need to file with CMC to obtain Canvas access for a non-CMC guest in the My CMC portal here (log-in required). The form will also provide you with links to the necessary paperwork.
- Cross-listing people from two or more Canvas courses into one “master” Canvas course. To request that two or more Canvas courses be “cross-listed” i.e., consolidate students who registered for different classes and have access to various, different Canvas courses into one single “master” Canvas course site, please submit this form.
- Respondus Software. Each semester we offer a self-paced Respondus software licensing course that’s the pre-requisite for CMC faculty/staff who wish to obtain a free licensed copy of the Respondus 4.0 and/or Respondus StudyMate Author software. This license is good for one year and expires on July 31 annually. If your Respondus software has expired and you would like the updated licensing information, please submit this form. CMC typically obtains the new licensing information in early to mid-August, so please plan accordingly.
- VoiceThread License. To request a VoiceThread.com account using CMC’s license, please submit this form.
More resources for innovative teaching and learning
Our Lending Library offers MP3 recorders, Flip video cameras, Livescribe and Iogear digital pens and other items that are available for 3 day check-out. We loan these items to faculty and staff only, not to students.
CMC has memberships that provide faculty with access to League for Innovation in the Community College, Films On Demand, Turnitin, and other subscription online materials and resources.
Help us define the way we can serve you by sending us your feedback or innovative ideas. You are welcome to directly contact us for this purpose.
Suzanne Thompson, M.A.
Manager, Office of Innovations in Teaching and Learning
Gabrielle E. Orsi, Ph.D.
Learning Management System Administrator / Faculty Trainer
Katy Tischler, M.A.
Faculty Support / Faculty Trainer