Office of Innovations in Teaching & Learning
We provide resources and learning opportunities for 21st century faculty development
Faculty: Do you need more information about using Canvas or other teaching and learning tools?
> Search our knowledge base at innovations.coloradomtn.edu: We update this regularly when we notice a common question or problem arising about a tool for teaching and learning in use at the college; about important news such as when a future semester’s Canvas courses will arrive; and when CMC policies change.
We also invite all faculty and staff to check out the opportunities available in our current training schedule. Topics include the use of Canvas, Web 2.0 tools, best instructional practices for all types of class delivery, and more. Learn about other resources for professional development and teaching available to CMC faculty and staff.
Need tech support?
Please contact the CMC Information Technologies Service Desk as your first option for any technology-based questions. Call 970-947-8438 or 1-866-642-0495, toll free, or send email to email@example.com.
Please visit Instructure’s Canvas Guides first for any “how-to” type questions. You can also request help directly with Canvas by using the help link at the top right corner of the screen while logged into Canvas. This is the best way to report error messages, bugs, and other problems with Canvas courses. The Canvas Community is a great resource for all things Canvas as well–chances are, if you have a question, feature request, or Canvas concern, someone has already addressed it in the Canvas Community. For Canvas FAQs and other information that is specific to tools in use Colorado Mountain College, please visit our knowledge base.
Online forms for common Canvas requests- Please scroll down to see all of our forms
We receive a number of common requests regarding Canvas and tools that are used with Canvas courses. Please use our online forms below to submit the following requests. The links to the forms are first, followed by a description of the form and other details.
- Current semester Canvas courses: add/remove CMC Canvas users. Or request that YOU be added to or removed from a particular Canvas course for the current semester.
This form is for adding or removing current CMC faculty, staff, or students to Canvas courses that are associated with classes with SYN numbers that are officially being offered at CMC and listed in WebAdvisor for the Fall 2016 semester only. Want to add someone who works or studies at CMC to the Canvas course you are teaching this semester? Are you a faculty member or staffer and need to join someone else’s Canvas course? Or do you wish to remove someone from your Canvas course altogether? Use this form for any enrollment change requests for Canvas courses that are associated with specific semesters.
To use this form, the Canvas course in question should be for a class that is listed in WebAdvisor and has a SYN number and everyone involved must be a current employee or student at CMC. No non-CMC guests.
- Enrollments for sandbox “demo” Canvas courses.
This form is for special courses that are not listed in WebAdvisor that are for collaboration, storage, course development, etc., that were built by hand on request for you or your group. Colorado Mountain College faculty and staff can use this form to file a request with the Office of Innovations in Teaching and Learning to add or remove CMC Canvas users- current faculty, students, and staff- from existing Colorado Mountain College sandbox, demo, or collaborative Canvas courses online. Please use the form above for requests involving current semester-specific courses with SYN numbers that are listed in WebAdvisor.
- Request sandbox “demo” Canvas courses.
Need an extra course just to use for workspace, storage, practice? This is the form for you. For any faculty or staff who need a new “sandbox” or demo course in Canvas for their own use or collaboration with a group.
- Request help with Incomplete Grades and Canvas.
Colorado Mountain College faculty and staff can use this form to file a request with the Office of Innovations in Teaching and Learning for assistance with an Incomplete grade. Since the automated Canvas archiving process will set all Colorado Mountain College Canvas courses to read-only mode 120 days after their end date, it is not possible to continue to use the same Canvas course for extended periods.
- Request to combine rosters from two or more Canvas courses into one “master” Canvas course.
Need to consolidate multiple classes into just one Canvas course? This form is to request that two or more Canvas courses be “cross-listed” i.e., consolidate rosters from two or more different classes into one single “master” Canvas course. Read this article from our knowledge base to learn more about Canvas cross-listing and see the answers to frequently asked questions. Please note: once the cross-listing has been completed, faculty and students will only access the master Canvas course site. All other Canvas course sites involved will be unavailable. Please plan accordingly!
Less Common Canvas Requests
- Request Canvas guest access for people not affiliated with CMC. This request is typically for accreditation teams and auditors who have a legitimate need to access Canvas.
To ask that special, temporary Canvas access be granted to someone who is not studying at CMC or employed by CMC, i.e. someone who is not currently a student, faculty member, or staff person at CMC, please contact the IT Department’s Service Desk. You will need to supply each guest’s first and last name, the institution or company the guest is affiliated with, and the start and end dates of access.
- Request that an archived Canvas course be temporarily reactivated.
As a reminder, faculty can always copy materials from archived courses and it is not necessary to reactivate an archived course simply to copy its contents. Consult our knowledge base for guidance on copying from archived courses.
We can temporarily reactivate an archived Canvas course for faculty/staff if it’s necessary to view students’ grades, quiz results, or submitted work. Please review the policy and procedure posted below. Faculty, first submit the form, then ask your instructional supervisor to approve this request and you must provide them with the approval form posted below. Supervisors need to provide a class roster for each course with all students’ CMC ID numbers included on it. Also, in order to comply with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), we may need to contact you for more details before we fulfill your request. Online form for faculty/staff to submit first.
Approval form for temporarily reactivating an archived Canvas course (to be completed by supervisors).
Policy and procedure for temporarily reactivating an archived Canvas course.
- Respondus software. This form is for those faculty/staff who have already passed our self-paced Respondus software licensing course and need updated licensing information. Each semester we offer a self-paced Respondus software licensing course that’s the pre-requisite for CMC faculty/staff who wish to obtain a free licensed copy of the Respondus 4.0 software. This license is good for one year and expires on July 31 annually. CMC typically obtains the new licensing information in early to mid-August, so please plan accordingly.
- VoiceThread license. To request a VoiceThread.com account using CMC’s license, please submit this form.
- Turnitin.com account. Turnitin, the plagiarism detection and deterrent, is available to all instructors via their Canvas courses using Assignments with Turnitin enabled. However, it is also possible to access this service via the Turnitin website at turnitin.com. The main reason to use the Turnitin.com website is to scan files gathered outside of Canvas; please consult our knowledge base to learn more. This form is for current CMC faculty/staff who would like to use CMC’s license to obtain an account for use at Turnitin.com.
- SoftChalk Cloud account. This form is for current CMC faculty/staff who would like to use CMC’s license to obtain a SoftChalk Cloud account. With this account, you can visit the SoftChalk website to build an unlimited number of lessons, games, quizzes, and other activities. You can also access and use SoftChalk’s repository of learning materials.
More resources for innovative teaching and learning
Our Lending Library offers MP3 recorders, Flip video cameras, and other items that are available for 3 day check-out. We loan these items to faculty and staff only, not to students.
CMC has memberships that provide faculty with access to League for Innovation in the Community College, Films On Demand, Magna Commons, and other subscription online materials and resources.
Help us define the way we can serve you by sending us your feedback or innovative ideas. You are welcome to directly contact us for this purpose.
Suzanne Thompson, M.A.
Manager, Office of Innovations in Teaching and Learning
Gabrielle E. Orsi, Ph.D.
Learning Management System Administrator & Faculty Trainer
Misty Thompson, M.A.
Faculty Support / Faculty Trainer