Federal Rules, Regulations and Forms

The Office of Sponsored Programs can help CMC grant applicants sort through the laws and regulations related to Federal grants

Applicants and recipients of Federal grants should be aware of an assortment of laws, rules and regulations related to pre-award and post-award activities. Educational institutions (such as colleges and universities) should be especially aware of the OMB circulars for cost principles (2 CFR 220, or A-21), administration requirements (2 CFR 215, or A-110) and audit requirements (A-133).

2 CFR 215
These are the administrative requirements for educational institutions regarding the management of Federal grants and cooperative agreements.

Bureau of Labor Statistics
This is a useful site for comparative data on how much you can reasonably charge for contractors or employees working on your grant.

Code of Federal Regulations (CFR)
The CFR is the codification of the general and permanent rules published in the Federal Register by the executive departments and agencies of the Federal government. It is divided into 50 titles that represent broad areas subject to Federal regulation. Each volume of the CFR is updated once each calendar year and is issued on a quarterly basis.

ED 524
This site provides links to the ED 524 budget form for grant applications to the U.S. Department of Education and the ED 524-B grant performance report form for reporting on your current U.S. Department of Education grant.

Education Department General Administrative Regulations (EDGAR)
These are regulations for administering grants and agreements with the U.S. Department of Education.

Federal Financial Report
This site provides links to the new form for financial reporting on Federal grants.

Federal Register
The Office of the Federal Register (OFR) provides access to the official text of Federal laws, presidential documents, administrative regulations and notices, and descriptions of Federal organizations, programs and activities.

General Services Administration (GSA)
This site provides information on government per diem rates.

Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Circulars
These are administrative policy documents issued by OMB that give instruction to Federal agencies on a variety of topics, including the administration of Federal grants and cooperative agreements.

OMB Standard Form 425 (SF-425)
This is the form for financial reporting on Federal grants.

OMB Standard Form 425A (SF-425A)
This is the form for financial reporting on cash management activity for multiple Federal grants.

OMB Standard Form 270 (SF-270)
This is the Federal request form for advance or reimbursement.

OMB Standard Form 272 (SF-272)
This is the Federal cash transactions report form.

Performance Progress Report (SF-PPR)
This site provides links to the new forms for reporting on the performance of your Federal grant (which will soon be required of all federally funded projects).