Learning Outcomes for Culinary Arts
The Culinary Arts Degree curriculum is designed to provide students with the basic skills and knowledge they need to succeed as a culinarian. The program combines the classical elements of an apprenticeship-based education with a contemporary classroom style education, selecting the best elements that each style of education has to offer.
The primary focus of the program is on culinary skills development with additional coursework in basic business management. Students gain valuable industry experience by working in a variety of food service operations including fast casual, quick serve, banquets and fine dining. The ultimate goal of the program is to prepare the graduate to enter the workforce ready to succeed.
- Demonstrate the ability to succeed in the professional kitchen environment as documented through the American Culinary Federation Education Foundation apprenticeship process.
- Demonstrate the ability to produce a wide variety of classical and contemporary dishes in the professional kitchen environment.
- Develop knowledge of classic and contemporary cooking and baking techniques representing a variety of global cuisines.
- Develop a professional portfolio representing the student’s culinary skills and work experience.
- Develop an understanding of basic business management techniques that relate to food and beverage operations.
- Demonstrate and understanding of the concept of sustainability as it applies to the sourcing and production of food and beverage.
- Demonstrate the proficiencies required to be certified as a Certified Sous Chef through the American Culinary Federation.
Colorado Mountain College Culinary Arts is a State of Colorado approved, Career & Technical Education program.