Learning Outcomes for Graphic Design
The Graphic Design Program’s curriculum gives students the diverse skills needed for employment and growth success in the Graphic Design field. The Graphic Design program incorporates professional business practices, career options, ethics and a liberal arts foundation.
- Demonstrate proficiency in a range of computer graphics technology, including bitmap image editing, vector graphics, page layout, web design, video editing and effects.
- Demonstrate understanding of different printing technologies and pre-press processes.
- Differentiate between vector and bitmap graphics, and effectively use each to the best effect.
- Demonstrate critical thinking by coordinating work between functions and disciplines.
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the cultural, social, political, environmental, and historical aspects of design.
- Demonstrate knowledge of color theory and how to apply it.
- Understand terminology used in the graphic design industry.
- Demonstrate proficiency with researching and purchasing stock creative assets and how to practice the legal and ethical use of art and software. Learn basic copyright laws for the visual arts.
- Demonstrate effective understanding of the Creative Brief, including purpose, design, and implementation.
- Demonstrate proficiency in digital still photography, videography, and audio capture.
- Knowledge of designing a logo, a newsletter, a poster, a folded brochure, and a multiple page publication from concept to completion as well as understand the concept of “branding” and corporate identity and how to use the basic concepts of design for advertising purposes.
- Recognize basic type families and styles and how to select type to enhance design pieces.
- Develop understanding of professional practice, including: systems, processes, common documents; OSHA guidelines; legal issues pertinent to the creative professions; budgeting; project management: marketing.
- Produce a portfolio of work that meets employer and marketplace expectations.
Colorado Mountain College Graphic Design is an accredited State of Colorado Career Technical Education program.