See photographic work of the Professional Photography Program students at the Isaacson School for New Media at Colorado Mountain College. Multimedia piece created by CMC New Media students Cary Tozer and Guadalupe Laiz.
Professional Photography Degree
Get quality academics, high-tech photography labs and Rocky Mountain inspiration
Your camera has the power to tell a story to the world. Whether it’s a story of injustice, acclaim or scenic beauty, all it takes is a professional behind the lens.
Get the artistic and technical skills you need to tell your story at Colorado Mountain College. You’ll have access to one of the most-photographed mountain ranges in the world — right outside your door!
Colorado Mountain College offers:
- A visually inspiring location in the heart of the Rocky Mountains
- State-of-the-art equipment and studio space
- Access to internationally renown ski area, events, concerts and competitions
- Up-to-date instruction from professional photographers
- A curriculum that prepares students to enter the workforce
Colorado Mountain College is surrounded by photography-loving mountain communities. From local galleries and artists’ collectives to monthly art walks and award-winning exhibits, you’ll have several outlets to showcase your work.
Aspen, a hub of international photography and pop culture, is nearby. It’s also home to world-class skiing, snowboarding and the Winter X Games. If you’re interested in winter sport photography, or just playing in the snow, this is the place to be.
Beautiful scenery, a happening photography scene, not to mention epic skiing and outdoor adventure — there could hardly be a better location. Come get inspired!
The program also incorporates professional business practices, career options, ethics and a liberal arts foundation. As a program within the Isaacson School for New Media, we also collaborate and adhere to the values and mission of the Isaacson School for New Media.
- Develop knowledge of principles of aesthetics and visual communication and integrate these principles creatively in still and motion based images and in new media storytelling.
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge and application of DSLR camera techniques for capture of both still, time and video based imagery.
- Develop a thorough and adaptable knowledge of software used in digital imaging and new media storytelling.
- Develop complete digital imaging workflow that includes capture, post processing, ethical considerations of digital techniques based on genre and asset management techniques from image capture to image archive.
- Apply effective lighting techniques in natural, artificial and mixed lighting in a variety of photographic areas including product, still life and portraiture.
- Acquire knowledge of historical influences and movements and contemporary trends in photography and develop vocabulary to evaluate photographic works based on this knowledge.
- Identify the primary working methods (conceptual and illustrative vs. journalistic and found moment) within different genres of photography in order to understand ethically acceptable images.
- Develop an understanding of professional practices, communications, organizations and career opportunities in the field of professional photography.
- Develop a professional body of work and appropriate support material such as website and marketing materials, to showcase personal vision and technical skills.
Colorado Mountain College Professional Photography is an accredited State of Colorado Career Technical Education program.
Download Program Brochure (pdf)