Tips for Success
College Counselors are available at each CMC campus to help you with personal and academic concerns. To further assist you here is a list to get you on the right track.
Tips for College Success
- Attend orientation or meet personally with your academic advisor before registering for your first semester at CMC. This is important even if you’ve previously attended another college — college policies and degree requirements change from one institution to another. Academic advising is an important component of student success.
- Pace yourself — we know you are probably anxious to get started but these tips will help you get off to a strong academic start:
- Don’t overload yourself the first semester — it’s better to take fewer credits and do well in them than to take too many credits and regret it later.
- Assess your study habits and skills early. Are you making the most effective use of your study time? Improve these skills by taking a study skills course if necessary.
- Use your first semester to build basic academic success skills such as reading, writing and math. Feel confident of your preparation levels before you progress.
- Participate regularly in at least one extracurricular club, organization or activity. Students who get involved are often more successful academically. It’s also an excellent way to develop valuable employment qualifications such as leadership skills and interpersonal communication skills.
- Plan enough study time. Study requirements vary from course to course, but as a rule of thumb, expect to study two hours for every one hour of lecture time. If you’re not willing to invest that much time in your education, don’t be surprised if your grades reflect it.
- Accept personal responsibility for earning your success in college. This takes genuine effort at all you do and active participation in planning an academic program of which you can be proud. Accept the consequences of your choices.