Degree & Career Exploration
Why is Career Exploration Important?
Though some CMC students know exactly what their career path is going to be, many are not so sure. Most students coming to college are undecided at first. It’s important to collect a variety of information in career decision-making in order to improve the likelihood of satisfaction in one’s chosen path. Some information you’ll need include:
- Awareness about yourself, including your interests, values, personality, skills and talents
- Factual information about different career options, like what skills and level of education are needed.
- Understanding the demand for your chosen career path, whether locally, within the state of Colorado or nationally.
Learn About Yourself!
Determining the right career path can feel like a daunting task, but the exploration can also be fun! CMC offers students a tool to help with this exploration. If you haven’t created your account, get started now by logging into the Basecamp portal, and visiting the Career Services page.
- FOCUS2 offers opportunities for self assessment of personality, interests, values, and skills and allows you to compare a variety of occupations that might align well with who you are.
- You will also be able to explore other factors related to those careers, such as education required, job outlook and earning potential. CMC offers a variety of academic options to get you started on just about any career path choice.
Learn About Careers!
- A fun and efficient way to explore careers by short videos, similar in nature to YouTube.
- Discover career fields you did not even know existed, and learn what it takes to get there.
- Save your favorites to help guide your career discussions with your parents, college counselors and instructors.
Talk to your Campus Counselor
Your campus counselors can guide you to tools available at CMC to help you in your exploration. They will also be especially helpful in sorting through what you learn about yourself and different fields and help you make educational choices to support your goals.
Other Exploration Tools to Help YouO*NET Online
Occupational research through the Federal Department of Labor Colorado Labor Market Information Gateway
State occupational research and job market information Launch My Career Colorado
New site designed by the State of Colorado to highlight HOT occupations in the state and employer needs, along with links to colleges and universities in the state. Occupational Outlook Handbook “What Can I do with a Major in… ?”