WEMT-Upgrade, Colorado & NREMT approved EMT refresher course
Moab, Utah, May 12-16, 2014, 45 CE hours
Want to be a WEMT? Need an official EMT refresher course? Want a unique wilderness rescue medicine certification program to hone your skills after completing the WEMT? Well read on!
WEMT Upgrade (wilderness style EMT refresher course) Course Description:
Join CMC’s Wilderness EMS staff as they offer another intensive WEMT upgrade in the amazing desert environment outside Arches National Park. This course will be held over 5 days just outside Moab along the Colorado River at the private Big Bend group campsite. This 5 day intensive wilderness medicine certification upgrade is for EMT’s, medics, nurses and physicians who want to learn the specialty of wilderness medicine and rescue. Course is an official refresher class for Colorado State & NREMT recertification (serves as official NREMT refresher plus 21 additional CEU’s).
Why the WEMS program and not another?
The CMC WEMS Certification remains the standard for individuals who seek specialist-level wilderness rescue and medical training. This certification program was developed by professional wilderness rescuers to provide the most updated, realistic, hands-on training in wilderness medicine that you can get if you are looking for a career in wilderness medicine or rescue. CMC’s WEMS program always has its finger on the pulse of rescue medicine and is proud to up the student experience by offering:
- WEMT courses taught by professional wilderness search and rescue EMT’s/paramedics who are actively working in the field
- Updated wilderness medicine protocols and field guides
- Extensive online supportive material with hundreds of videos, research papers and other wilderness medicine resources
- Top-notch industry standard medical kits, specialty wilderness medicine tools and technical evacuation equipment that is used by the pro’s
- And the unique technician level WEMS program* (13 additional credits) to support & enhance the skills you learn in the WEMT course.
*WEMT-Upgrade is one class (2 credits) in the 15 credit WEMS certification program. You don’t have to be enrolled in the WEMS program to take the WEMT-Upgrade. You can take the WEMT-Upgrade class as a stand-alone class. Contact Brian for more details about enrolling in the WEMS program.
The course will be held at the private Big Bend group site campground along the Colorado River. Students can camp at the group site where the course is held or opt to stay at another campsite or hotel of their choice. This site has over 20 tent sites, car camping sites, restrooms, a sun shelter, picnic benches, views galore, established campfire pits and an emergency phone. A swimming beach on the Colorado River is about a 1 minute walk away! There is also world class bouldering within walking distance to the campsite. After class in the evening students can hike, bike, climb, raft, kayak or go sight-seeing in this amazing environment. Moab and Arches National Park are both about a 10 minute drive from our group site.
The Big Bend Recreation Site is located on Utah Highway 128, 8 miles east of the junction of Utah Highway 128 and U.S. Highway 191. When you reach the Big Bend Recreation Site, our site is Group Site “A &B.” Big Bend is about 4 ½ hours from Breckenridge.
Dates, Times and Transportation:
The course will be held over May 12-16 (Monday to Friday) from 8 am-6 pm. The course ends on May 16 at 1pm. Students have the nights free to explore the Moab area. Students are encouraged to show up on Sunday, May 11 to settle in and set up camp. Students may stay an additional night or two if they have friends or family taking the concurrent Wilderness First Responder, as long as they are not disruptive to the ongoing classes. Transportation is not provided by CMC! There will be a carpooling option for interested students. Notify Brian to get on the email list for further details on carpooling.
CMC will provide the common area or shelter with basic camping supplies for the students to use. This will include a camp kitchen, lanterns, ice coolers, 5 gallon water containers & sun shelters. Students will have to supply their own food for the entire course. Instructors will make daily runs for water and ice so the students don’t have to leave the venue if they don’t want to. Moab is about a 10 minute drive if the student needs any additional supplies or commodities. CMC will provide all the necessary medical supplies for the course. A recommended supply list will be emailed to students once they register for the course.
Course and Certification Details:
- Course cost $197 (in district rate). Contact CMC registration for discounted out-of state rates.
- Includes wilderness medicine textbook and field guide
- Includes camping fees & permit fees
- Includes certification fees & certification cards
- CPR is not included in course.
- CMC does not provide transportation.
- A WEMS WEMT-Upgrade certification valid for 2 years (with a one year grace period) will be awarded upon successful course completion
- Course exceeds the Wilderness Medical Society’s Guidelines
- 45 hours of CEU’s approved towards National Registry Recertification
- Course is an official EMT refresher course for Colorado & NREMT
- The course is taught by CMC’s Wilderness EMS director, Brian Taylor and his WEMS staff.
- Proof of current license or certification as an EMT-B, EMT-P, physician, or RN is required.
- April 21 is the first day of registration-this class fills quickly!
Please call or email Brian if you have any questions or concerns about the upcoming WEMT-Upgrade. You can get on the WEMT email list and get a reminder about early registration starting April 21.