(Colorado & NREMT approved EMT refresher course)
On Lake Dillon, Colorado
Sep 3-7, 2015
45 – 50 CE hours
Want to be a WEMT? Need an official EMT refresher course? Interested in a unique wilderness rescue medicine certification program to hone your skills after completing the WEMT? Well read on!
WEMT Upgrade (wilderness style EMT refresher course) Course Description:
Join CMC’s Wilderness EMS staff as they offer another intensive WEMT upgrade in Summit County, Colorado. This course will be held over 5 days just outside Breckenridge at the private Windy Point group campsite off Swan Mountain Road. This 5 day intensive wilderness medicine certification upgrade is for EMT’s, medics, and nurses who want to learn the specialty of wilderness medicine and rescue. This course is an official refresher class for Colorado State & NREMT recertification (serves as official NREMT refresher plus 21 additional CEU’s).
Why the CMC WEMS program and not another?
The CMC WEMS Certification remains the standard for individuals who seek specialist-level wilderness rescue and medical training. This certification program was developed by professional wilderness rescuers to provide the most updated, realistic, hands-on training in wilderness medicine that you can get for careers in wilderness medicine or rescue. CMC’s WEMS program always has its finger on the pulse of rescue medicine and is proud to up the student experience by offering:
- WEMT courses taught by professional wilderness search and rescue EMT’s/paramedics who are actively working in the field as wilderness medics and rescuers.
- The most updated wilderness medicine protocols by WMS, PHTLS & ICAR.
- Extensive online supportive material with hundreds of videos, research papers and other wilderness medicine resources.
- Top-notch industry standard medical kits, specialty wilderness medicine tools and technical evacuation equipment that is used by the pro’s.
- High fidelity manikins for realistic scenarios.
- And the unique technician level WEMS program* (13 additional credits) to support & enhance the skills you learn in the WEMT course.
*WEMT-Upgrade is one class (2 credits) in the 15 credit WEMS certification program. You don’t have to be enrolled in the WEMS program to take the WEMT-Upgrade. You can take the WEMT-Upgrade class as a stand-alone class. Contact Brian for more details about enrolling in the WEMS program.
The course will be held at the private Windy Point group campsite off Swan Mountain Road on Lake Dillon. Students can camp at the group site or opt to stay at another campsite or hotel of their choice. This site has multiple tent sites, car camping sites, restrooms, a sun shelter, picnic benches, views galore, established campfire pits and an emergency phone. Beach access for kayaking, sailing, SUP or canoeing is right on site at our campground. Students also have access to world-class mountain biking, road cycling, rafting, fishing & climbing in the evenings when class is over for the day. Amenities in Frisco or Breckenridge are both about a 15-minute drive from our group site.
Dates, Times and Transportation:
The course will be held over September 3-7 (Thursday to Monday) from 8 am-5:20 pm. The course ends on September 7 at 5pm. Students have the evenings free to explore Summit County.
CMC will provide the common area or shelter with basic camping supplies for the students to use. This will include a camp kitchen, lanterns, ice coolers, 5 gallon water containers & sun shelters. Students will have to supply their own food for the entire course. Instructors will make daily runs for water and ice so the students don’t have to leave the venue. Frisco & Breckenridge are about a 15 minute drive away if students needs any additional supplies or commodities. CMC will provide all the necessary medical supplies for the course. A recommended supply list will be emailed to students once they register for the course.
Course and Certification Details:
- Course cost $214 (in district rate). Contact CMC registration for out-of state rates.
- Includes wilderness medicine textbook and field guide
- Includes camping fees & permit fees
- Includes certification fees & certification cards
- CPR is not included in course.
- CMC does not provide transportation.
- A WEMS WEMT-Upgrade certification valid for 2 years (with a one year grace period) will be awarded upon successful course completion
- Course exceeds the Wilderness Medical Society’s Guidelines
- 45-50 hours of CEU’s approved towards National Registry Recertification
- Course is an official EMT refresher course for Colorado & NREMT
- CMC’s Wilderness EMS director, Brian Taylor and the WEMS staff, teaches the course.
- Proof of current license or certification as an EMT-B, EMT-P, physician, or RN is required.
- July 27 is the first day of registration-this class fills quickly!
Please call or email Brian if you have any questions or concerns about the upcoming WEMT-Upgrade.