WEMT-Upgrade: Colorado & NREMT approved EMT refresher course
May 15-19, 2017
50 CE hours available (45 field hours, 5 hours online)
Want to be a WEMT? Need an official EMT refresher course? Want a unique wilderness rescue medicine certification program to hone your skills after completing the WEMT? Well read on!
WEMT Upgrade (wilderness style EMT refresher course) Course Description
Join CMC’s Wilderness EMS staff as they offer another intensive WEMT upgrade in the amazing desert environment outside Moab, Utah. This course will be held over 5 days just outside Moab along the Colorado River at the Big Bend group campsite.
This 5 day intensive wilderness medicine certification upgrade is for EMT’s, medics, and nurses who want to learn the specialty of wilderness medicine and rescue.
This course is an official refresher class for Colorado State & NREMT recertification (serves as official NREMT refresher plus 26 additional CEU’s).
The course will be held at the Big Bend group site campground along the Colorado River. Students can camp at the group site where the course is held or opt to stay at another campsite or hotel of their choice.
This site has multiple tent sites, car camping sites, restrooms, a sun shelter, picnic benches, views galore, established campfire pits and an emergency phone. A swimming beach on the Colorado River is about a 1 minute walk away! There is also world class bouldering within walking distance to the campsite.
After class in the evening students can hike, bike, climb, raft, kayak or go sight-seeing in this amazing environment. Moab and Arches National Park are both about a 10 minute drive from our group site.
The Big Bend Recreation Site is located on Utah Highway 128, 8 miles east of the junction of Utah Highway 128 and U.S. Highway 191. When you reach the Big Bend Recreation Site, our site is Group Site “B”. Big Bend is about 4 ½ hours from Breckenridge.
Dates, Times and Transportation
The course will be held over May 15-19 (Monday to Friday) from 8 am-5:20 pm. The course ends on May 19 at 5 pm. Students have the nights free to explore the Moab area. Students are encouraged to show up on Sunday, May 14 to settle in and set up camp. Transportation is not provided by CMC! There will be a carpooling option for interested students. Notify Brian to get on the email list for further details on carpooling.
CMC will provide the common area with basic camping supplies for the students to use. This will include a camp kitchen, lanterns, ice coolers, 5 gallon water containers & sun shelters. Students will have to supply their own food for the entire course.
Instructors will make daily runs for water and ice so the students don’t have to leave the venue. Moab is about a 10 minute drive if the student needs any additional supplies or commodities. CMC will provide all the necessary medical supplies for the course. A recommended supply list will be emailed to students once they register for the course.
Course and Certification Details
- Course cost $292 (district rate) $538 (in state)
- Includes wilderness medicine textbook and field guide
- Includes camping fees & permit fees
- Includes certification fees & certification cards
- CPR is not included in the course
- CMC does not provide transportation
- A WEMS WEMT-Upgrade certification valid for 2 years (with a one year grace period) will be awarded upon successful course completion
- Course exceeds the Wilderness Medical Society’s Guidelines
- 50 hours of CEU’s approved towards National Registry Recertification
- Course is an official EMT refresher course for Colorado & NREMT
- CMC’s Wilderness EMS director, Brian Taylor and the WEMS staff, teaches the course
- April 24 is the first day of registration — this class fills quickly!
Why the CMC WEMS program and not another?
The CMC WEMS Certification remains the standard for individuals who seek specialist-level wilderness rescue and medical training. This certification program was developed by professional wilderness rescuers to provide the most updated, realistic, hands-on training in wilderness medicine that you can get for careers in wilderness medicine or rescue. CMC’s WEMS program always has its finger on the pulse of rescue medicine and is proud to up the student experience by offering:
- WEMT courses taught by professional wilderness search and rescue EMT’s/paramedics who are actively working in the field as wilderness medics and rescuers.
- The most updated wilderness medicine protocols by WMS, PHTLS & ICAR.
- Extensive online supportive material with hundreds of videos, research papers, protocols, prezi presentations and other wilderness medicine resources.
- Top-notch industry standard medical kits, specialty wilderness medicine tools and technical evacuation equipment that is used by professionals.
- High fidelity manikins & hyper-realistic wounds for ultra realistic scenarios.
- And the unique technician level WEMS program* (13 additional credits) to support & enhance the skills you learn in the WEMT course.
*WEMT-Upgrade is one class (2 credits) in the 15 credit WEMS certification program. You don’t have to be enrolled in the WEMS program to take the WEMT-Upgrade. You can take the WEMT-Upgrade class as a stand-alone class. Contact Brian for more details about enrolling in the WEMS program.
Please call or email Brian if you have any questions or concerns about the upcoming WEMT-Upgrade.