Wilderness First Responder (WFR)
Moab, Utah & Online
Online: May 4-17
Moab, Utah: May 18-22, 2015
Registration opens April 20!
Want to be a WFR? Want a unique wilderness rescue medicine certification program to hone your skills after completing the WFR? Well read on!
WFR Course Description:
Outdoor Enthusiasts, Guides, Educators, and Search and Rescue Team Members – Wilderness First Responder (WFR) certification remains the most comprehensive baseline wilderness-protocol medical education. Learn to assess, to treat and to appropriately evacuate patients with emergent backcountry medical issues during CMC’s upcoming WFR practicum near Moab, Utah!
Earn 4 college credit hours and an array of medical knowledge in CMC’s hybrid 30 hour online and then intensive 5-day for a total 80-hour WFR course. Our instructors all have more than a decade of Outdoor Education, SAR and/or Guide experience, and also currently hold positions at medical facilities or ambulance service.
Why the WEMS program and not another?
The CMC WEMS Certification remains the standard for individuals who seek specialist-level wilderness rescue and medical training. This certification program was developed by professional wilderness rescuers to provide the most updated, realistic, hands-on training in wilderness medicine that you can get if you are looking for a career in wilderness medicine or rescue. CMC’s WEMS program always has its finger on the pulse of rescue medicine and is proud to up the student experience by offering:
- WFR courses taught by wilderness guides who also work as medical professionals
- Updated wilderness medicine protocols and field guides
- Extensive online supportive material with hundreds of videos, research papers and other wilderness medicine resources
- Top-notch industry standard medical kits, specialty wilderness medicine tools and technical evacuation equipment that is used by the pro’s
- And the unique technician level WEMS program* (15 credit certification) to support & enhance the skills you learn in the WFR course.
* You don’t have to be enrolled in the WEMS program to take the WFR course. You can take the WFR class as a stand-alone class. Many students enroll in the WEMS certification program after taking the WFR to obtain more skills and training in wilderness rescue. Contact Brian for more details about enrolling in the WEMS program.
The course will be held at the private Big Bend group site campground along the Colorado River. Students can camp at the group site where the course is held or opt to stay at another campsite or hotel of their choice. This site has over 20 tent sites, car camping sites, restrooms, a sun shelter, picnic benches, views galore, established campfire pits and an emergency phone. A swimming beach on the Colorado River is about a 1 minute walk away! There is also world class bouldering within walking distance to the campsite.
After class in the evening students can hike, bike, climb, raft, kayak or go sight-seeing in this amazing environment. Moab and Arches National Park are both about a 10 minute drive from our group site.
The Big Bend Recreation Site is located on Utah Highway 128, 8 miles east of the junction of Utah Highway 128 and U.S. Highway 191. When you reach the Big Bend Recreation Site, our site is Group Site “A & B.” Big Bend is about 4 ½ hours from Breckenridge.
Dates, times & transportation:
The field course will be held over May 18-22 (Monday to Monday) from 8 am-6 pm. The course ends on May 22 at 2 pm. Students have evenings free to explore the Moab area. Students are encouraged to show up on Sunday, May 17 to settle in and set up camp. Transportation is not provided by CMC! There will be a carpooling option for interested students. Notify Brian to get on the email list for further details on carpooling.
CMC will provide the common area or shelter with basic camping supplies for the students to use. This will include a camp kitchen, lanterns, ice coolers, 5 gallon water containers & sun shelters. Students will have to supply their own food for the entire course. Instructors will make daily runs for water and ice so the students don’t have to leave the venue if they don’t want to. Moab is about a 10 minute drive if the student needs any additional supplies or commodities. CMC will provide all the necessary medical supplies for the course. A recommended supply list will be emailed to students once they register for the course.
Course and Certification Details:
- Course cost $320 (in district rate). Contact CMC registration for discounted out-of state rates.
- Includes wilderness medicine textbook and field guide
- Includes camping fees & permit fees
- Includes certification fees & certification cards
- CPR is included in course
- A WEMS WFR certification card valid for 2 years (with a one year grace period) and an American Heart Association BLS Provider CPR certification card (valid for 2 years) will be awarded upon successful course completion
- Course exceeds the Wilderness Medical Society’s Guidelines for WFR training
- Course lead instructor is Jeremy Deem (CMC Outdoor guide/educator & WEMS staff).
- No pre-requisites needed for this class.
- April 20 is the first day of registration-this class fills quickly!
Please call or email the WEMS office if you have any questions or concerns about the upcoming WFR. You can get on the WFR email list and get a reminder about early registration starting April 20.