TRIO Upward Bound, a Free College Preparatory Program
High school students living in the Colorado Rocky Mountains can make college happen with support from Upward Bound
Upward Bound is a federally funded TRIO program from the U.S. Department of Education that provides high school students with the motivation and skills needed to successfully transition from high school to college and go on to complete their college education. The FREE year-round support program is open to high school students in Eagle and Lake Counties as well as West Garfield County.
CMC hosts two Upward Bound programs. One program, operating out of the CMC Edwards Campus, serves students in Eagle and Lake County. The second program, operating out of the CMC Rifle Campus, serves the students of West Garfield County. Participants may apply as early as their 8th grade year and gain the support and skills to achieve academic excellence in both high school and post-secondary institutions. Upward Bound students are also, given opportunities to become more involved in their communities during their participation.
Upward Bound provides the following services and resources to its participants:
- Academic Support – Receive free tutoring support and study skills in all core subject areas including, but not limited to, Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, and Dual Enrollment Classes.
- Academic Advising – Advice and assistance with high school and college course selection.
- College Admission Assistance – Preparation for college entrance examinations, and help completing admission applications.
- Financial Literacy – Helpful information about federal financial aid, scholarships, and grants.
- College exploration – Trips are available to area colleges for students to find a campus that fits them best.
- Summer Enrichment – Six-week summer program, including an on campus residential experience, designed to simulate college life.
Students must be a citizen or a permanent resident of the United States. To qualify, students must also meet at least one of these criteria below:
- First generation college student (neither parent/guardian has earned a four-year college degree) AND/OR
- Meet income eligibility, as determined by the U.S. Department of Education.
Please contact your local CMC TRIO Upward Bound office for more information or complete the online application:
Upward Bound – Eagle and Lake Counties
CMC Vail Valley at Edwards
150 Miller Ranch Road
Edwards, CO 81632
Upward Bound – West Garfield County
3695 Airport Road
Rifle, CO 81650