Bhutan: October 2022
Cultural Immersion in the Kingdom of Gross National Happiness
Located in the Himalayan Mountains, south of Tibet and east of Nepal, Bhutan is one of the most unique places in the world. During this 21-day experience, students will be immersed in Bhutanese culture while learning about the country’s commitment to environmental stewardship, sustainable practices, entrepreneurship, Buddhist spirituality, and the arts.
Bhutan’s national indicator of “Gross National Happiness” shines a unique light on how this vibrant and ancient Himalayan culture is a global leader committed to human well-being, climate action, and cultural heritage protection.
Students will stay at Royal Thimpu College, participate in daily special guest lectures and field excursions to cultural sites and events, and learn about Bhutanese lifestyles during a short homestay in a rural village.
The walking and hiking portions of this trip require participants to be of moderate to advanced moderate fitness. Hiking will we a gradual pace and dependent on all participants’ responses to altitude and sometimes steep terrain.
Trip Dates: October 28 – November 20, 2022 (may shift by 1-2 days based on flight availability)
Students: Limited to students enrolled in Sustainability Studies and Business Administration.
Courses: Total of 9 credits. Sustainability students enroll in SUS 475 and SUS 491. Business students enroll in SUS 321, BUS 475, and MAN 490.
Trip Leaders: Dr. Kim Langmaid (Sustainability Studies), and Dr. Cynthia Bell (Business Studies)
Tuition: See current in-district, in-state, and out-of-state CMC Tuition Rates
Program Fee: $4,900 Includes airfare, accommodations, and meals (may be revised to reflect flight fees)
Registration Deadline: May 1, 2022 ($2,000 deposit required by this date)
Sample of Cultural and Natural Sites:
- Jigme Dorji Wangchuk National Park
- National Biodiversity Centre and Gardens
- Paro Taktstang (Tiger’s Nest Monastery)
- Traditional Medicine Hospital and Museum
- Natural Resources Research Development Centre
- Black-necked Crane Conservation Centre
- Chanlimithang Centennial Park
- Bhutanese Craft Bazaar and Artists Studio
- Burning Lake Mebartsho
- Architectural Tours of Temples and Forts
- Trongsa and Phobjika Homestays
- Royal Society for Protection of Nature
- Gangtey Goenpa Nature Trail
- Bhutan Folk Heritage Museum