Bhutan: October 2023
Environmental Stewardship, Sustainability and Cultural Immersion
Located in the Himalayan Mountains, just south of Tibet and east of Nepal, Bhutan is one of the most unique places in the world. Students will be immersed in Bhutanese culture while learning about the country’s commitment to environmental stewardship, sustainable practices, entrepreneurship, Buddhism, and the arts.
Students will stay at Royal Thimphu College, participate in daily lectures and field excursions to cultural sites and events, and learn about Bhutanese lifestyles during a short homestay in a rural village.
The walking and hiking portions of this trip require participants to be of moderate to advanced moderate fitness. Hiking will be a gradual pace and dependent on all participants’ responses to altitude and sometimes steep terrain.
Trip Dates: October 28 - November 19, 2023
Courses: Total of 9 credits. Courses include SUS 3210 "Leadership, Ethics, and Social Responsibility," SUS 3910 "Field Experience in Sustainability," and additional BUS credits.
Trip Leaders: Dr. Kim Langmaid (Sustainability Studies), and Dr. Cynthia Bell (Business Studies)
Tuition: See current in-district, in-state, and out-of-state CMC Tuition Rates
Trip Cost: $4,220 plus airfare to Bangkok and up to 9 credits tuition. Includes airfare from Bangkok to Paro, Bhutan; accommodations, meals, excursions, and Bhutan entry fee.
Registration Deadline: May 15, 2023. $2,000 deposit upon submitting registration application to hold the space, no later than May 15. Space is limited to 16 students. Remainder of payment is due by June 15.
Sample of Cultural and Natural Sites:
- Jigme Dorji Wangchunk National Park
- National Biodiversity Centre and Gardens
- Paro Taktsang (Tiger’s Nest Monastery)
- Traditional Medicine Hospital and Museum
- Natural Resources Research Development Centre
- Black-necked Crane Conservation Centre
- Changlimithang Centennial Park
- Bhutanese Craft Bazaar and Artists Studio
- Burning Lake Mebartsho
- Architectural Tours of Temples and Forts
- Trongsa and Phobjikha Homestays
- Royal Society for Protection of Nature
- Gangtey Goenpa Nature Trail
- Bhutan Folk Heritage Museum
Let us know you're interested!
Contact Kimberly Langmaid, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Sustainability Studies (she/her/hers)