Concurrent Enrollment FAQ

What is Concurrent Enrollment?

Concurrent enrollment, also known as "dual enrollment", is a program that allows high school students to earn college or vocational credit toward a postsecondary diploma, certificate, or degree at a Colorado college. The concurrent enrollment courses also count as credit toward a high school diploma.

Concurrent enrollment courses are college courses. Students should understand that the amount of work necessary to succeed in dual enrollment courses may be much greater than in high school courses.

In addition, concurrent enrollment courses become a part of a student's permanent college transcript. It is important to do well in these courses to realize all the benefits of concurrent enrollment.

Is concurrent enrollment right for me?

The concurrent enrollment program is an opportunity to take challenging courses and accelerate education opportunities. Students who successfully complete dual enrollment courses will save time toward their college degree and save money with a low college tuition rate and textbooks.

Students should check with their high school guidance counselor or school district office prior to enrolling in dual enrollment courses

Students and parents must attend the orientation/pre-registration or meet with a CMC student services counselor about the CEPA classes offered. At that time, registration materials are distributed and the procedures are explained.

Who pays the college tuition for concurrent enrollment courses? How much are they?

Your local school district will be responsible for paying the tuition to CMC for students who are approved to participate in the concurrent enrollment program.

Students interested in concurrent enrollment must be approved by their local high school.

Qualified students must meet all prerequisites for the college classes they intend to take. Qualified students must be under the age of 21 and enrolled in the 9th grade or higher.

Parents of participating students will sign a document requiring repayment of the amount of tuition paid by the high school if the student does not complete the CMC course for any reason without the consent of the principal.

Students interested in concurrent enrollment should contact their high school counselor for more information and to fill out an application form.

What about the cost of textbooks?

Students are expected to purchase the appropriate textbook (unless furnished by the high school). The purchase process varies according to CMC location.

Are all college courses available through concurrent enrollment?

Many state-guaranteed transfer college courses are available for concurrent enrollment. However, there are some restrictions on choice of courses:

  1. Courses must count toward high school graduation;
  2. Not all college courses are available at all high school or college locations;
  3. Remedial, physical education skills, and some recreation courses are not available for dual enrollment.

What are the Concurrent Enrollment Programs Act (CEPA) requirements?

The CEPA dual enrollment program requirements are:

  1. Students in grades 9-12 are eligible to participate in concurrent enrollment courses if approved by their high school counselor.
  2. Each participating student must have an academic plan of study approved by their high school counselor.
  3. Students in the 12th grade may now enroll in basic skills in Math, English, or Reading.
  4. College tuition for concurrent enrollment students will be paid by the local school district at the in-state or in-district rate depending on location.
  5. Students may enroll in an unlimited number of courses but the school district may only reimburse for so many depending on their budget. (Contact your local high school counselor).
  6. Students must earn a grade of "C" or better in the course to receive college credit at CMC

When and where may concurrent enrollment courses be taken?

These courses may be taken before, during or after school or during the summer. They may be offered at the high school or college.

How many high school credits are awarded for concurrent enrollment courses?

Current practice is that 6 semester credit hours earned through concurrent enrollment will equal one high school credit. However, this may change for some college courses. Students should check with their guidance counselor for information regarding how dual enrollment courses apply to high school graduation requirements.

Will concurrent enrollment courses transfer to other colleges and universities?

Concurrent enrollment college credit will transfer to any public college or university offering that course with the same prefix and number and must be treated as though taken at the receiving institution.

However, upon high school graduation, if students do not attend the same college or university where they earned the concurrent enrollment credit, the application of transfer credit to general education, prerequisite, and degree programs may vary at the receiving institution.