FAFSA: Free Application for Federal Student Aid

Your path to financial aid starts here!

The FAFSA from is your staring point for higher education financial aid. Most students fill out the form in 30 minutes.

This one form puts you in reach of $120 billion in student aid provided by each year the U.S. Department of Education. If you wait too long fill out the FAFSA, you may come up short!

Fortunately, there's help at every corner — within the FAFSA form, on the FAFSA and many other websites. Watch the video on this page! You'll soon be on your way.

State aid is available for qualified students including those without lawful immigration status. Use the CASFA Form.

Fill Out Your FAFSA!

Apply early for higher opportunity for assistance!

CMC Federal School Code: 004506
Use 2019 taxes for 2022 Spring and Summer terms
Use 2020 taxes for 2022 Fall and 2023 Spring and Summer terms


Filling out the FAFSA — Avoid these Common Mistakes

Here are some of the most common mistakes students/parents make — and that you can avoid.

  • Remember to sign the application. Be sure both, student and parent (if applicable due to dependent status) use the FSA ID to sign the FAFSA at the time the application is complete.
  • Students/Parents often forget to report all required sources of untaxed income. You should include Social Security, child support, and welfare benefits (includes TANF and earned income credit)
  • Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) to transfer your (and parent/spouse) income directly into your FAFSA from the IRS.
  • Divorced parents sometimes include their ex-spouse’s income. They should list only their own income and that of their current spouse.
  • Be sure to round numbers to the nearest dollar (to help with this, use the IRS DRT within the FAFSA).
  • Make sure you follow the instructions!


Will my parents' contribution be less if any of my brothers or sisters are also continuing their education beyond high school?

Generally speaking, yes. Your parents' contribution might be lower if both parents are working, and about 50% lower if they are helping more than one of their children through college or career school at the same time.

My parents are divorced (separated). Which parent should complete the financial aid application?

The parent who should complete the application is the one with whom you lived for the longest period during the last 12 months.

If you didn't live with either parent, or lived with each parent for an equal number of days, the application should be filled out by the parent who provided the most support for you during the last 12 months.

"Support" means money for such things as housing, food, clothes, transportation, medical and dental care, and school.

If I have a guardian, is he or she supposed to file a financial aid application?

No. Grandparents, foster parents and legal guardians are not considered parents on the FAFSA unless they have legally adopted you.

If I live with a grandparent, should he or she file a financial aid application for me?

It depends on the situation, but usually not. Check the definition of "parents" in the financial aid office at the school you attend. If you are simply living apart from your parents but they still support you, they should file the application for you.

Is a step-parent expected to complete the financial aid application even though they feel no responsibility to support my education?

Federal programs and CMC expect a step-parent's information to be included on the financial aid application.

What is satisfactory academic progress?

The Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, mandates institutions of higher education establish a standard of satisfactory academic progress for students who receive financial aid. This standard applies to the student’s entire academic history, whether Title IV aid was received or not.

In order to remain eligible to receive aid at Colorado Mountain College, students must meet the standards specified for acceptable academic performance and for Satisfactory Academic Progress toward the completion of their program of study.