Frequently Asked Questions

Attending Colorado Mountain College as an International Student

How much time does it take to complete the admissions and visa process?
Plan ahead! The process could take up to 6 months.

Which Colorado Mountain College campus may I attend?
You may apply to attend Colorado Mountain College in: Steamboat Springs, Leadville, Spring Valley near Glenwood Springs, or Vail Valley at Edwards. You may not apply to other campuses.

How much does it cost to attend Colorado Mountain College?
International students pay the "out-of-state" tuition rate. Please see Tuition and Costs. However, you must prove that you have resources to live in the US for 12 months (details are on the application).

How do I get my academic records reviewed?
CMC requires a "catalog match" for certifying academic credentials. For more information and an application for Evaluation of Foreign Educational Credentials go to Educational Perspectives. We may require you to do additional testing in English and Mathematics before you can register for classes.

How do I prove English proficiency?
CMC accepts the TOEFL, Michigan Test of English Language Proficiency, IELTS test scores, and recommendations from the English Language School as proof of your proficiency in English. See the TOEFL website.

Am I required to live in the student residence hall?
If you are a first time college student transferring in 24 credit hours or less, and are less than 21 years of age, yes CMC requires you to live in student housing. We encourage all international students to live in our student housing even if not required.

What do I have to do if I want to travel outside the United States?
If you plan to travel to a country other than your own, you should contact the consulate of that country to find out if you need a visa. You can access it through the U.S. Department of State website and follow the link Foreign Consulates. You should stop by your International Student Advisor's office for a signature endorsement on your I-20 form. You will need your signed I-20, passport with visa, and other documents to return to the USA. The international advisor will check your current registration status.

My visa is going to expire, what should I do?
The visa is a travel document, which is issued by the U.S. Embassy/Consulate usually in the student's home country. A visa is permission granted by the U.S. government to legally enter the United States. It may be considered an extension of your passport. It is not possible to obtain a U.S. visa while you are in the United States. It is legal if your visa (F-1) expires while in the United States as long as your SEVIS I-20 is valid and that you are in status, registered as full time student. Remember, you CANNOT enter the U.S. on an expired or cancelled visa. You should check with the United States Consulate in your country for the application procedures and find out if an appointment is required. The procedures vary from country to country.

What should I do if my passport expires?
If your passport expires, you should contact your country's Embassy or Consulate. Remember, when applying for a visa that your passport should be valid for at least 6 months after you intend to stay in the United States.

How do I get my F1 / Student Visa?
Applying for a student visa is a lengthy process. The first step is applying to CMC. If you are accepted, we will issue you a form I-20 which you need to schedule the visa interview. Students are encouraged to apply for their visa early to provide ample time for visa processing and this should be taken under consideration when deciding to apply to CMC. Applicants for student visas should generally apply at the US Embassy or Consulate that holds jurisdiction over their place of permanent residence.

What are the requirements for a non-immigrant visa?
As an international student, you will need to establish that you intend to return to your home country after your studies are complete.

Explain the reasons you will study in a particular school program in the United States and how this relates to your future professional career when you return home.

Your main purpose for coming to the United States is to study, not for the chance to work. Getting a job is not an effective means of financing an education in the US.

In order to get an F-1 visa approved, you will need to demonstrate that you have enough funds to pay for the first year of study and that you have resources available to cover the rest of your educational program.

Can I get financial aid at Colorado Mountain College?
International students can apply for CMC scholarships that have no "residency" requirement, prior to the March 1 deadline, but these can provide only limited assistance. CMC does not provide other financial assistance to international students. Students with F-1 visas are not allowed to be employed in the United States off-campus to meet their financial obligations. You may be allowed to work on-campus, but there is no guarantee that employment is available for you.

What travel documents must I bring?

  • Your passport (including attached envelope of immigration documents) with your non-immigrant visa
  • SEVIS Form I-20
  • Copies of your financial support documentation
  • Your admission letter
  • Name and contact information of your intended school or program
  • Your immunization and insurance documentation
  • I-94 entry/exit form

Can I learn English at Colorado Mountain College?
No. CMC does not have an intensive English language program, and is not authorized to accept international students who do not already have college-level English language abilities. CMC does offer extensive language training to our local English as a Second Language (ESL) population, but international students must come to us with their language skills already at the college level.

Can I study at Colorado Mountain College while I'm in the USA on a different visa type?
Maybe. Most US visas do allow the holder to take courses at US colleges. Some US visa types that allow study also prohibit the holder from earning a degree in the US. Also, many dependents of US visa holders can attend college. Check with the USCIS for details about your visa type at In all cases, those not seeking a student visa should register with the domestic or "regular" CMC application and not the international application.