This position facilitates student learning by helping to clarify specific course content and promoting/modeling the use of appropriate study strategies. Responsibilities include:
- Tutor students in a range of math courses (developmental math, algebra, pre-calculus, and calculus) in a one-on-one and group setting
- Maintain a flexible schedule to accommodate student tutoring needs
- Arrive on time for, and be available for the duration of, scheduled tutoring sessions
- Encourage active participation of students in tutoring session
- Maintain an accurate record of student visits to tutoring sessions
- Respond to feedback given by students and Learning Lab/TRIO staff
- Other duties as assigned
View/download job description: Professional Tutor
Pre-requisites for Position: Education or Training: Associate’s mathematics or a closely related area. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- A grade of B or higher in all course(s) and/or academic subject areas for which tutoring services will be offered.
- A cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher in all post-secondary course work.
Experience in the field: Teaching/tutoring experience, particularly in post-secondary courses, preferred. Other relevant work experience that demonstrates either knowledge of the content or the ability to work with students or the ability to communicate ideas effectively.
Individuals with Associate’s degree in career and technical fields would be considered equivalent education.
Special Skills or abilities directly applicable to the position: Excellent interpersonal communication skills required. Basic computer literacy. Ability to interact with a diverse student population.
Applicants must demonstrate a commitment to working in a culturally competent environment and the ability to effectively work with students, employees, and community members having diverse backgrounds. Bilingual (English/Spanish) or conversational language abilities are preferred.
To apply: please submit the required letter of interest, resume, and list of three professional references. CMC is an EOE committed to diversifying its workforce.
External applicants: Apply Online
Internal Applicants: please proceed to the HR page of Basecamp for instructions on applying for position as an internal applicant.