Earn a Solar Energy Certificate at Colorado Mountain College
Renewable Energy courses give you the latest skills from national experts
"There are about 209,000 solar energy employees in the U.S. They include solar panel installers, designers, engineers, sales folks and managers. Today, the solar industry workforce is bigger than that of oil and gas construction, and nearly three times the size of the entire coal mining workforce."
Get the skills to tap into one of the nation’s fastest growing job markets. With our cutting-edge, hands-on solar energy training programs, you’ll increase your employability and earning power. Colorado has one of the nation’s largest job markets for the renewable energy field. According to a recent USA Today story, technicians in green energy will be in demand for some time. Our courses will prepare you for North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) certification that will set you apart in the job market.
Basic Solar Photovoltaic Installer (Cert)
Colorado Mountain College offers three solar energy certificate programs:
- Basic Solar Photovoltaic
- Photovoltaic Installer
- Solar Thermal Installer
With our hands on solar energy training program, you’ll get what you need to take the next step:
- You’ll be ready to sit for NABCEP solar certification exams
- When you enter the renewable energy field, you’ll hit the ground running after our hands-on training
- You’ll be comfortable with every aspect of solar technologies – from analysis and design to installation.
- Accelerated courses help you earn your certificate faster.
With CMC's solar energy certificate programs, you will be prepared to enter the solar energy field in a variety of careers:
- Solar technician
- Renewable energy sales
- Skill upgrades for electricians, plumbers, HVAC technicians and construction employees
- Springboard to mechanical engineering and commercial construction
The renewable energy industry is growing, and it’s time for you to get on board – and make a difference – with training from Colorado Mountain College.
Get Your Career Started in the Solar Energy Field
Certificates can be earned in one or two semesters Anyone can take our solar training courses, but they are recommended for industry professionals and those who want to enter the renewable energy career field. There are no academic prerequisites, but some trade knowledge will be helpful to students entering the Photovoltaic Installer and Solar Thermal Installer certificates.
- Basic Solar Photovoltaics Certificate will take approximately one semester to complete. There are no prerequisites for this certificate.
- Photovoltaic Installer Certificate will take approximately two semesters to complete. We recommend that you have some electrical/electrician experience prior to taking these courses. After you complete the certificate, you will be required to have some solar experience if your goal is to take the NABCEP examination.
- Solar Thermal Installer Certificate will take approximately two semesters to complete. We recommend that you have some plumbing experience prior to taking these courses. After you complete the certificate, you will be required to have some solar experience if your goal is to take the NABCEP examination.
Students must demonstrate college-level proficiency in reading, writing and mathematics before entering this program. Skills in these areas may affect the sequence of courses in which students can enroll and may also extend the time required to complete this program. For more details see Academic Placement.
Hands On Solar Energy Training at CMC
Learn how by doing with CMC Solar Energy Certificate courses In short, intensive classes, you will not only learn from industry professionals but also have a chance to work hands-on with the latest technology. The Solar Energy lab at Rifle includes a readily accessible practice roof for installation, testing and repair of solar arrays. You’ll also get out of the classroom and onto the roof installing solar photovoltaic units and visiting job sites. Your class will travel to off-site locations where you will analyze, make recommendations and design solar solutions.