Colorado Opportunity Scholarship Initiative Scholarship
Up to $8,000 or more awarded to students based on program of study and financial need
What is the COSI Scholarship?
CMC offers a few different COSI scholarships to students. First, we have our general Matching Student Scholarships (MSS) as well as scholarships designated to various workforce programs and scholarships for those displaced workers affected to the COVID-19 pandemic.
What is COSI?
COSI is the Colorado Opportunity Scholarship Initiative that provides scholarships and student support in and out of the classroom. COSI has a goal of increasing the accessibility and affordability of post-secondary education. This is made possible by money from the Colorado Department of Higher Education and matching donor contributions.
Who is eligible?
All students that meet the following requirements are encouraged to apply COSI scholarships.
Displaced workers affected by layoffs because of the COVID-19 pandemic will be prioritized for eligible COSI awards.
If you are a displaced worker, check out our CMC Responds: Tomorrow Ready Scholarship.
Steps to complete for a COSI Scholarship
COSI Plus Two Scholarship
Earn a qualifying associate degree plus a certificate and you may qualify for a full ride scholarship.
Student Eligibility Requirements:
- Colorado residents or ASSET students eligible to pay in-state/in-district tuition.
- Meet income eligibility guidelines
- Must be in good standing for Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress standards
- Have a current year FAFSA.
- Will work toward credentials or degrees:
- Aligned with Colorado Top Jobs
- Culinary Arts, Health Sciences, Law Enforcement, Fire Science, OR
- Associate Degree with Career Technical Certificate (Student must be enrolled year-round)
To remain eligible, students must also:
- Maintain satisfactory progress towards their credential/degree and hold a cumulative 2.0 GPA.
- Follow guidelines specified in their student agreement which includes, but is not limited to, receiving support from a designated advisor to help in their educational success.
If you have any questions, please contact COSI@coloradomtn.edu.
Students will receive a copy of their submitted COSI application. At the bottom (last page) of the application, students can view the final decision made. Once awarded, students may be able to see their COSI scholarship award(s) in their student portal.
Once the COSI Participation Agreement has been signed and funds have been disbursed, you will be able to see your award in Student Planning.
Students must have an income of less than 250% of the maximum permissible income for Pell grants. This is typically determined by students demonstrating an Expected Family Contribution of $14,615 or less for the 2021/2022 academic year, as determined by their CASFA or FAFSA application.
Your COSI advisor will be assigned to you and will contact you through your CMC student email soon after you have been awarded.
Students who are accepted and actively participating in the TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) program will work with their designated program coordinator.
If you have any questions, contact COSI@coloradomtn.edu.
They are those students that accepted the COSI scholarship along with agreeing to the following:
- Meet regularly with the assigned COSI Advisor
- Complete a Self-Assessment and similar documents, to help the advisor learn more about student needs to be successful.
- For a first time college student, complete a First Year Experience course through Canvas or College 101: The Student Experience (AAA 101) or similar course at my campus during the first semester at CMC.
- For more information about AAA 101, refer to the College Catalog (and search for AAA 101) or speak with a COSI Advisor.
- Attend Student Success Workshops that may be offered at campus location (or online), with topics covering financial literacy, career skills, resume building, and more.
- Communicate with designated COSI Advisor if difficulty with a course and/or problem to strategize for greater success.
- Student responsible for personal success in this program, while advocating for needs.
Scholarship applications are received and processed on a first-come, first-serve basis until funds are depleted for the academic year.
All COSI Scholarship recipients must be in good standing for Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress standards to receive their award. We encourage students to check their student portal and their student email account to review any steps they might need to complete related to academic standing compliance.
This scholarship can be used for any types of costs associated while attending CMC. These costs include tuition, fees, books, supplies, housing, transportation, child care, and other allowable expenses.