Concurrent Enrollment at CMC Salida

What is Concurrent Enrollment?

  • Concurrent Enrollment Programs Act (CEPA) is a program by the state of Colorado that allows high school students to take credit bearing college classes that also satisfy high school graduation requirements.
  • Courses usually consist of general education, transferable courses.
  • Earning college credit while in high school helps students:
  • Get a head start towards completing a 2-year or 4-year college degree, saving money and time
  • Gain the training and/or industry certificate needed for a future career
  • Build confidence and develop essential academic and career skills
  • Concurrent Enrollment courses become part of a student's permanent college transcript. It is important to do well in these courses.

For more information visit Colorado Department of Education - Concurrent Enrollment

Keri Vignale

Meet with an Advisor

Keri Vignale
Concurrent Enrollment Program Coordinator

Schedule a Meeting with Keri

How does Concurrent Enrollment work?

What are the requirements?

  1. Enrolled in 9th grade or higher (and less than age 21)
  2. Approved by School Counselor
  3. Complete and Submit an Application and Registration Form
  4. Prove College Readiness (PSAT-10/ACT/SAT and high school transcript or Accuplacer, a college placement test).
  5. Earn a grade of C or better in the course to receive college credit at CMC.

College tuition for concurrent enrollment students will be paid by the local school district. Students earning less than a C will be required to reimburse the school district for tuition.

Is concurrent enrollment right for me?

The concurrent enrollment program is an opportunity to take challenging courses and accelerate education opportunities. Students who successfully complete concurrent enrollment courses will save time and money toward their college degree.Students should check with their school counselor prior to enrolling in concurrent enrollment courses.

Are all college courses available through concurrent enrollment?

Many state-guaranteed transfer college courses are available for concurrent enrollment. However, there are some restrictions on choice of courses:

  1. Courses must count toward high school graduation.
  2. Courses must count toward a college certificate or degree.
  3. Not all college courses are available at all high school or college locations.

When and where may concurrent enrollment courses be taken?

Courses may be offered at the high school or college. Courses at the college may be taken before, during, or after school.

How many high school credits are awarded for concurrent enrollment courses?

Students should check with their school counselor for information regarding how concurrent enrollment courses apply to high school graduation requirements.

Funding for Concurrent Enrollment

Who pays the college tuition for concurrent enrollment courses?

Your local school district will be responsible for paying the tuition to CMC for students who are approved to participate in the concurrent enrollment program.
Parents of participating students wil provide an electronic signature on the CMC Concurrent Enrollment Application agreeing to repay the school district should the student not complete the course or receive an unsatisfactory grade. Students interested in concurrent enrollment should contact their school counselor for more information.

What about the cost of textbooks?

Students who enroll in CMC courses at a campus location, livestream, or online will receive their textbooks at a fee of $29/credit as part of the Learning Materials Program (LMP). Courses at the high school will furnish textbooks.Non-payment of book charges can cause the student to be dropped from the class or create a business hold towards future registration on their account.

Learn more about the Learning Materials Program

What about supply or other fees?

Some courses have specific supply fees for kits, materials, travel fees, or permit fees. Before registering, check the course for any additional fees that a class may have and that the high school student will be responsible for paying. Fees will be listed in the course description or course costs. Non-payment of fees can cause the student to be dropped from the class or create a business hold towards future registration on their account.

Transferring Concurrent Enrollment Credit

Will concurrent enrollment courses transfer to other colleges and universities?

Many college-level courses earned are transferable to most other Colorado colleges and universities and to most other institutions of higher education throughout the nation. Guaranteed Transfer (GT) Pathways courses are offered at CMC and will always transfer:

GT Pathways courses, in which the student earns a C- or higher, will always transfer and apply to GT Pathways requirements in AA, AS and most bachelor's degrees at every public Colorado college and university.