Coming Home and Attending College

Colorado Mountain College has programs and services for veterans who wish to obtain a college degree

Obtain Military Transcripts
Joint Services Transcripts (Army, Coast Guard, Marines, Navy)
CMC uses ACE recommendation in evaluation of Joint Services Transcripts.

Continue The Adventure or Get Refreshed in Colorado's Rocky Mountains
Your quest for adventure doesn't have to end when you leave active duty. Colorado Mountain College has programs that can turn your military experience into a career.

Colorado is full of opportunities for veterans of various backgrounds and levels of experience. Pursue your educational goals in one of Colorado's most desirable towns, like Steamboat Springs, Aspen, Breckenridge or Glenwood Springs.

Colorado Mountain College has a variety of programs designed to prepare you for a career. We have Associate degree and certificate programs in addition to programs that award Bachelor degrees upon completion.

Learn how to be a back-country ski guide, or to lead groups into the wilderness with our Outdoor Recreation Leadership certificate. There are programs for paramedicine, resort management, solar energy, graphic design and many, many more. Take a few minutes to see all of our programs and the locations in which they are offered:

Education Programs and Our Locations

Make The Transition
Colorado Mountain College's staff will help make your transition into the classroom simple. Our degrees and certificate programs are designed to make your transition to a civilian career just as seamless. Use the links on this webpage to help plan your transition to college. Email the Coordinator of Military Services with your questions about attending Colorado Mountain College.

Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018, Section 103
In compliance with Section 103 of the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018, Colorado Mountain College (CMC) will not impose any penalties due to the delayed disbursement of funding from the Department of Veteran Affairs under chapter 31 or 33.

Students with payment delays will not be charged late fees, prevented from enrolling, or denied access to courses, libraries, or other institutional facilities available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution. Nor are students required to borrow additional funds due to the delayed disbursement of funding from the VA under chapter 31 or 33.

To qualify for this provision, such students are required to:

  • Produce a VA Certificate of Eligibility or an eBenefits GI Bill Statement of Benefits by the first day of class;
  • Provide the school a request to be certified;
  • Provide any additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in the school’s institutional policies

This provision ends on the earlier of the following dates:

  • The date on which payment from the VA is made to the institution
  • 90 days after the date the institution certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the Certificate of Eligibility

Colorado Mountain College does not provide incentive compensation for the recruitment of students who are Veterans or dependents of Veterans.

GI Bill is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. Veterans Affairs website.

Get Tuition Discounts for Veterans, Spouses and Dependents

To honor your service, we offer a 25% tuition discount off of your tuition classification rate to those who qualify. This discount is for Veterans, Active-Duty Military, their spouses and dependents (dependents under 23-years-of-age).

To apply for this discount you must provide the following:

  1. A complete CMC application for admissions indicating your military affiliation under the "Veteran Military Service" section of the Application.
  2. Provide a copy of a DD-214 showing any discharge status other than dishonorable.
  3. A complete FAFSA*. (Students using Military Tuition Assistance or VA Educational Benefits are not required to submit the FAFSA.)

*Your FAFSA must be submitted the first academic year of enrollment to be considered for the military tuition discount. Submitting the FAFSA does not require you to accept grants or loans. Completion of the FAFSA is not required for subsequent years.

This discount is not available for online programs or a semester of all online courses. This discount was approved by the Colorado Mountain College Board of Trustees to honor U.S. veterans, active-duty military and their families.

For more information contact the Coordinator of Military Services at

Why Should A Veteran Choose Colorado Mountain College?

Colorado Mountain College is a network of college campuses across the mountains of Colorado that offers a wide variety of degrees, certificates, classes and programs to help you obtain your educational objectives. We want to nurture the skills and trades you learned while serving so we review each application and award credits based on a Colorado Mountain College course equivalent. In addition, we offer a significant tuition discount to veterans and will help you through the process of getting the VA benefits you've earned.

If you choose not to live near one of our mountain locations, our online course options give you the ability to learn wherever you call home. Many courses allow you to interact with fellow students and instructors in a virtual classroom setting.

Q: Will I get credit for training I had in the military?
A: Each applicant's educational past is compared to the course offerings at Colorado Mountain College. If a course we offer corresponds with the training you received, then you will be awarded credit in most cases. Contact the Academic Credentials Evaluator for more information.

Q: Where will I live while I attend school?
A: We have residential campuses in Leadville, Steamboat Springs and Glenwood Springs-Spring Valley. Residential campuses provide residence halls, cafeterias, student recreation facilities and libraries. More full-time students create opportunities for campus life activities. If you're married, have children or would rather live off-campus, we suggest looking through the classified ads of the local news papers. Here are the links for the local newspapers that would have information on housing near our campuses. You'll also be able to get a feel for the local community, look for jobs, check out outdoor activities available in the area.

How Do I Use My VA Education Benefits?

Q: How do I apply to receive education benefits?
A: Use the links below to learn about the education benefits you've earned and read through the handbook, Factors To Consider When Choosing A School. Start with the first one and move down the list. Each link will open a pop-up window, so when you get finished just close the window and move on to the next one.

Q: Am I eligible to receive the GI Bill?
A: To find out if you are eligible for the GI Bill you may call 1-888-GIBILL-1 (888-442-4551) to speak with a Veterans Benefits Counselor.

Q: I am eligible for the GI Bill. What do I do next?
A: If you are eligible for the GI Bill, use to file your application for benefits.

With you can:

  • Apply for VA compensation, pension, education, vocational rehabilitation and employment, and burial benefits.
  • Report the status of dependents, file a claim for increase in your service connected disability(ies), a new disability(ies), an ancillary benefit, entitlement to statutory benefits such as special monthly compensation, and entitlement to special monthly pension.

Apply For GI Bill Benefits

Q: If I drop a class will it affect my VA Benefits?
A: Dropping a class can affect each student differently. It is important that every student contact the Coordinator of Military Services any time there is a change to your schedule.

Q: How do I apply for Military Tuition Assistance Programs?
A: Learn more about Tuition Assistance Programs

Return of Tuition Assistance Funds Procedure: Military Tuition Assistance (TA) is awarded to a student under the assumption that the student will attend school for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded. When a student withdraws, the student may no longer be eligible for the full amount of TA funds originally awarded. To comply with the new Department of Defense policy, Colorado Mountain College will return any unearned TA funds on a prorate basis through at least the 60% portion of the period for which the funds were provided. TA funds are earned proportionally during an enrollment period, with unearned funds returned based upon when a student stops attending.

These funds are returned to the military Service branch. Instances when a Service member stops attending due to a military service obligation, the educational institution will work with the affected Service member to identify solutions that will not result in student debt for the returned portion.

For more information on this procedure, please email your inquiry to

Q: I am currently getting funding from the GI Bill. Can I also receive financial aid at the same time?
A: You may apply for financial aid while receiving GI Bill benefits. To apply for grants and loans visit the FAFSA website at

Q: I have been attending class for two months, why haven't I received any money?
A: If at any time you think you are not receiving the proper amount of money or you find you are not receiving any money at all contact us immediately so that we may research the issue for you.

Q: Is it true that I have to contact the VA every month in order to keep receiving my payments for the semester?
A: This is the case for some students on the GI Bill. Call 877-823-2378 to find out if this applies to you.

Q: I applied for the GI Bill and have started taking classes. How and when should I expect my first payment?
A: Usually the VA pays every month for the previous month attended and usually students choose what type of payment (either check or automatic deposit) they want during the application process. Expect a payment by the middle of the month.

Q: Can I apply for the GI Bill as a non-degree seeking student?
A: All persons using the GI Bill educational benefits must be degree/certificate seeking. It is Colorado Mountain College's programs that are approved for these benefits, not the individual courses. Contact the Coordinator of Military Services with any questions.

Q: I'm still Active Duty but I will be getting out soon. How soon should I start applying for my GI Bill benefits?
A: It is okay to apply early however we recommend that you wait to use your benefits until you separate from the military.

Q: Is there a certain number of credits that I need to take each semester in order to receive my GI Bill benefits?
A: There is no minimum requirement for the number of classes you take; however, the amount of funding you receive does depend on how many classes you take.

How Do I Apply To Colorado Mountain College?

Q: How do I apply to Colorado Mountain College?
A: The application process is simple and you can apply online.

Additional Resources for Veteran Students