UPDATE: Colorado High School Cycling League mountain bike races Saturday, Oct. 22, 2022 only
Saturday, Oct. 22: All categories to race Saturday only
Sunday, Oct. 23: No racing due to weather forecast
Judging from the sports news that’s being generated regarding the Colorado High School Cycling League mountain bike races, the mountain region is interested in the high school MTB racing season.
Here’s a snapshot about the state championships this Saturday at Colorado Mountain College Spring Valley:
Spring Valley Scramble
Colorado High School Cycling League State Mountain Bike Championships on Colorado Mountain College Spring Valley trails
Saturday, Oct. 22:
7:45 a.m.: Freshmen boys staging
9:10 a.m.: JV boys staging
10:35 a.m.: JV girls staging
12 p.m.: Sophomore and freshmen girls staging
1:20 p.m.: Sophomore boys staging
2:45 p.m.: Varsity boys and girls staging
5:30-7 p.m.: Race awards, season awards and annual season picnic in the CMC Spring Valley Field House
- Approximately 1,500 racers, coaches, parents, friends and family members are expected at CMC Spring Valley for the championships.
- Ninety high school teams will visit Spring Valley from Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota and New Mexico.
- To compete in the state championships, high school student-athletes must have competed in three out of four races this season and be in the top regular overall point earners in their region.
- CMC Spring Valley was selected for this year’s state championship meet in large part because of the campus’ trails that rise above the Roaring Fork Valley. The campus recently completed over three miles of professionally built trails that connect to an existing trail network. And CMC staff has worked closely with the Colorado High School Cycling League to create a 5.5-mile course built specifically for high school student-athletes.
- The trails run near the college’s new solar array, which is the largest of its kind in Colorado. CMC has partnered with Holy Cross Energy and Ameresco to bring solar energy and storage to the region.
- CMC Spring Valley is joining CMC Leadville in hosting Colorado League MTB races. The Leadville campus has hosted races on its trails since 2013 (except for 2020). Now with the addition of new trails, CMC is offering excellent opportunities for mountain bike racing.
- For more information, visit Colorado High School Cycling League.