Rediscovering Common Ground is a year long series of events that will engage people from different viewpoints in learning how to disagree productively and move our country forward during what promises to be a tumultuous election year.
CMC will offer a free seminar series this spring open to anyone featuring conversations with local community and thought leaders. This fall, class attendees will be invited to meet Richard Haass as he visits several CMC campuses around the region and discusses the principles behind the book that inspired this series, The Bill of Obligations: The Ten Habits of Good Citizens. These author visits will be free and open to the public.
Colorado Mountain College hopes this series encourages people to become more involved in our democracy and promote good civic behavior, contributing to healthy, productive conversations between people with differing viewpoints. Ultimately, participants should benefit from a better understanding of how to help heal divisions and move our country forward.
Send us an email at email@example.com to be the first to know about upcoming events.
Kickoff Event - January 29, 2024
A conversation with Walter Isaacson, Richard Haass & Mary Louise Kelly
Colorado Mountain College, in collaboration with Aspen Public Radio and Colorado’s PBS 12, kicked off this timely series on Monday, January 29 with a virtual conversation between Richard Haass and former CNN CEO, Time Magazine Editor and Aspen Institute CEO Walter Isaacson. The live event was moderated by Mary Louise Kelly, co-host of National Public Radio's award-winning afternoon news program All Things Considered. Opening remarks were presented by Dr. Carrie Besnette Hauser, Colorado Mountain College President and CEO, who announced the Common Reader series with Isaacson and Haass in November 2023.
Walter Isaacson has held roles including editor of TIME magazine, CNN chairman and CEO, CEO of the Aspen Institute. He is currently a professor of history at Tulane University and a prolific author. His latest book “Elon Musk” (2023) quickly became yet another New York Times bestseller.
Mary Louise Kelly
Mary Louise Kelly is a co-host of All Things Considered, NPR's award-winning afternoon newsmagazine. As a former national security correspondent for NPR News her reporting has tracked the CIA and other spy agencies, terrorism, wars, and rising nuclear powers.
Richard is president emeritus of the Council on Foreign Relations after having served as CFR’s president for twenty years. A seasoned diplomat, he chaired the multiparty negotiations in 2013 in Northern Ireland that provided the foundation for the 2014 Stormont House Agreement. He received the Tipperary International Peace Award in 2013. Photo © Kaveh Sardari 2022
Resources for Rediscovering Common Ground
- CMC Library Resources for Rediscovering Common Ground / Check out the eBook or eAudiobook of The Bill of Obligations here, and find further resources on civic engagement, including links to our country's founding documents and information on how to become a more involved member of our democracy.
- Watch A Citizen’s Guide to Preserving Democracy (video), Rocky Mountain PBS
- ‘Rediscovering Common Ground’ series launches with live virtual event, moderated by NPR's Mary Louise Kelly, Aspen Public Radio
We will continue to add to this list.
News coverage of Rediscovering Common Ground
- Aspen Public Radio
- Glenwood Springs Post Independent - CMC hosts free virtual event with bestselling authors to kick off ‘Rediscovering Common Ground’ series
- Steamboat Pilot - Rediscovering Common Ground, a nonpartisan series on the political divide, will launch Jan. 29 with live virtual event
- Colorado Times Recorder - ‘We Can’t Just Assume That It Will All Work Out in the End:’ Forum Explores How To Find Common Ground in a Divided Country
Check out or pick up a free hard copy of “The Bill of Obligations,” on a first come first serve basis at these locations.
eAudiobooks and eBooks are available from the Virtual Library through the Libby app.
CMC Breckenridge - Dillon
Campus Front Entrances
Summit County Libraries
CMC Central Services
Executive Suite, 3rd Floor
Garfield County Libraries
New Discovery Reception
Lake County Public Library
CMC Glenwood Springs
Glenwood Springs Branch Library
Garfield County Public Libraries
CMC Spring Valley
Ascent Center Front Desk
CMC Steamboat Springs
CMC Steamboat Springs Campus Library
CMC Vail Valley