Vail Valley at Edwards New Student Checklist
Tips for getting prepared for your first semester at CMC
STEP 1: Attend a Step 1 Session for New Students
Sessions are also offered to new students by appointment at CMC Vail Valley. Call 970-569-2900 to register for one!
- Step 1 is required for students who are new to CMC and have less than 15 college credits or are planning on taking courses for transfer.
- After attending a Step 1 session, you will have:
- An understanding of admission requirements, registration details, and paperwork.
- Information on where to find class information and how to register for courses.
- Knowledge of what college placement is what it means.
- An overview of CMC programs, degrees, and certificates.
Information about resources like financial aid, counseling & advising, and campus life.
Complete your application for admission. Do this before or after attending a Step 1 session.
Get started with Financial Aid.
- Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Check out scholarships offered through the CMC Foundation. The application deadline for most scholarships is March 1.
STEP 2: College Placement
Get placed into college-level courses.
- In order to take college-level courses at CMC, you are required to show proficiency at the college level in reading, English and math.
- You can demonstrate college-level proficiency several ways:
- ACT or SAT scores (if taken within 5 years), or
- Successful completion of college-level math or English courses, or
- Take the Accuplacer.
Meet with a college counselor.
- Review results of assessment scores in order to plan coursework.
- You can get help with planning your semester courses, tracking your progress toward graduation, and more!
- Call to make an appointment: 970-569-2900.
Register for classes!
- View the course schedule to see credit and lifelong learning offerings.
- Pay attention to early registration and open registration dates.
Textbooks are included with the Learning Materials Program. Learn more about CMC's Textbooks/Learning Materials Program.
STEP 3: Attend Orientation
New Student Orientation
- New Student Orientation is for students who have not taken previous college courses, although all new students are welcome.
- Sessions are offered the week before each semester begins.
- Call 970-569-2900 with any questions and to sign up for a session.
- At Orientation, you will get the opportunity to:
- Use Basecamp to use student tools such as student email, WebAdvisor, and Canvas.
- Become familiarized with the Vail Valley at Edwards campus and resources available on campus and college-wide.
- Interact with campus faculty and staff, and meet peers and other students.
Online Learning Orientation
- If you are in a distance learning course (web, teleweb, or IVS) this orientation is meant for you!
- Find resources at the Online Learning homepage.
- Two sessions are offered before each semester begins.
- Call 970-569-2900 for dates and to RSVP to the distance learning orientation.
STEP 4: Student Success
Get tutoring help. Writing and math labs are held every week on campus.
Find out about Student Support Services (SSS).
- SSS is a FREE, federally funded student-assistance program specifically designed to help participants with tutoring, financial aid assistance, career advice, and 4-year transfer information.
- Contact Heather O'Malley at 970-569-2938 with any questions and to see if you qualify.