Study Avalanche Science Online and in the Field
Earn a Snow, Weather & Avalanche Field Technician certificate from Colorado Mountain College
Colorado Mountain College is known for snow-related degrees and programs. The Avalanche Science program expands these offerings into the world of snow science and professional avalanche safety training.
Designed by avalanche professionals from the Colorado Avalanche Information Center, CMC and USFS, the Avalanche Science program will help current and aspiring avalanche workers advance their careers with training and education.
Study Avalanche Science at 10,200 ft. The CMC Avalanche Science program delivers in-depth knowledge and experiential learning over a wide range of subjects. Guided by qualified, expert faculty you will:
- Learn the fundamentals of weather forecasting & snow science
- Master essential avalanche control and avalanche rescue techniques
- Hybrid curriculum: online classes + 3 on-campus sessions per year
- Designed and taught by respected avalanche experts
- Prepare for a job in snow safety and avalanche safety
- Complete a field internship in the mountains
- Practice risk management, leadership skills and operational services
- Track mountain snowpack over two full winters
Flexible scheduling through Hybrid Programming
Online classes + 3 intensive on-campus sessions per year
Course work is completed online via live web meetings. Three on-site, intensive sessions in Leadville are scheduled three times per year.
Fall 2018 & Spring 2019 On-site Sessions
Session I / September 8 - 13, 2018
Session II / December 3-11, 2018
Session III / March 18- 23, 2019