Go Beyond WEMT Training with Our Wilderness EMS Certification
Wilderness medicine and rescue training for aspiring outdoor professionals
There is a growing need for outdoor professionals who know the special requirements of wilderness medicine. In the fall of 2005, Colorado Mountain College (CMC) Breckenridge/Dillon embarked on a mission to develop an unrivaled program in the expanding field of wilderness medicine and rescue training. Since then, thousands of students have trained and certified in wilderness medicine and rescue training through our unique Wilderness Emergency Medical Services (WEMS) Program.
CMC’s WEMS Certification sets the industry standard for individuals who seek specialist-level wilderness rescue and medical training. This certification program was developed by professional wilderness rescuers to provide the most updated, realistic, hands-on training in wilderness rescue medicine.
CMC’s WEMS program has its finger on the pulse of rescue medicine and will provide students with cutting edge scenario-based instruction. The Summit County area offers the perfect venue to hone your rescue skills and learn from world class professional rescuers.
The WEMS certification program offers students:
- A technician level wilderness rescue certification program that goes well beyond a typical WEMT course (total of 15 credit hours or 322.5 contact hours).
- Courses taught by industry professionals with decades of experience in rescue medicine.
- The perfect venue for specialized wilderness rescue medicine including high altitude mountains, world class skiing and rafting, multi-pitch crags, local hospital and mountain clinics.
- Extensive student resources including: patient simulators, online learning platforms, skill videos, conferences, internships and print or e-books for student courses.
- Top-notch industry standard medical kits, specialty wilderness medicine tools and technical evacuation equipment that is used by the pro’s.
- A state and nationally approved EMT training center for students who need their EMT.
- For students interested in outdoor education or guiding CMC Breckenridge also offers an AA in Outdoor Education and a Certificate of Completion in Outdoor Education.
The Wilderness Emergency Medical Services (WEMS) program prepares you to work with organizations such as:
- Search and rescue
- Ski patrol
- Outdoor education & guide/outfitter companies
- National Park Service
- Bureau of Land Management
All of our instructors offer multi-disciplinary backgrounds with a minimum of a decade of experience in Emergency Medical Services, Search & Rescue, Guiding/Trip-Leading and/or Outdoor Education. Our program remains the standard in Wilderness Emergency Medical Services. Check out our program info, and please call or email any questions!
WILDERNESS EMT UPGRADE/OFFICIAL EMT REFRESHER
Colorado State & NREMT approved EMT Refresher Course: Wilderness Style EMT Refresher.
Field Dates: May 6-10, 2019
Location: Moab, Utah
Big Bend Group Site
Enrollment Begins April 22, 2019
Course # 18436
"This Refresher Course was AWESOME! The most comprehensive wilderness medicine class I have ever taken. I greatly enjoyed repeated exercises and learning about: King airways, ALS airways in general, ALS interventions and assists, innovative splinting and packaging and medication administration.
"All the instructors were calm, obviously knowledgeable and thoroughly enjoyable to listen to and learn from. The real-life anecdotes were great to hear; a perfect balance of seriousness and humor was upheld every minute.
I am totally going to take my WEMT refresher from you guys (will aim to join you in Moab!) in the next 2 years. Not only did I literally get “refreshed” on things I needed, but have been re-inspired about this field and way of life."
Arapahoe Basin Ski Patroller
All or part of this operation is conducted on Public Lands and Waters under special permits and agreements from the U.S. Forest Service, U.S. Bureau of Land Management, National Park Service, and Colorado Parks and Wildlife.