Medical Assistant Program
Join a fast-growing field with online courses and hands-on training in medical offices
Begin a career as a medical assistant and join a fast-growing career field! If you're looking for a stable career with room for growth, plus the opportunity to help others, you've found it. And Colorado Mountain College has the hands-on training you need to become a standout.
A combination of online and on-campus courses, plus real-world training at local medical offices, this program will prepare you to perform routine administrative duties in a medical or clinical office environment. You'll study the basics of anatomy and then interact with real medical personnel in a professional setting.
Satisfied Graduates & Employers
The faculty, curriculum and training of the CMC Medical Assistant Program deliver results. You don't need to leave the area for a top-tier program — it's here!
Convenient, career-focused training at Colorado Mountain College
- Online courses save you time and money
- Flexible schedules and coursework for working students
- Hands-on training and lab experience in real medical offices
- Degree and certificate options available
It’s time to start working toward a rewarding career in the medical field. The Colorado Mountain College Medical Assistant Program will help you get started.
What Do Medical Assistants Do?
Medical Assistants perform administrative and clinical tasks to keep the offices of physicians, chiropractors and other health professionals running smoothly.
The tasks vary by office and specialty area. In smaller offices, Medical Assistants are usually generalists providing both administrative and clinical support. In larger practices, Medical Assistants often specialize in certain areas.
Administrative duties may include tasks such as scheduling and receiving patients, preparing and maintaining medical records, handling telephone calls and written correspondence, medical transcription, completing and submitting insurance claims and maintaining practice finances.
Clinical duties may include asepsis and infection control, taking patient histories and vital signs, performing first aid and CPR, preparing patients for procedures, performing electrocardiograms (ECGs), assisting the physician with examinations and treatments, performing suture removal, collecting and processing specimens, performing selected lab and diagnostic tests, administering medications(injections) and drawing blood (venipuncture).
Students interested in Medical Assisting should have a sincere desire to work with patients directly in an outpatient setting and a sincere interest in wanting to help people maintain and improve their health.
The CMC Medical Assisting Certificate Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs upon the recommendation of Medical Assisting Education Review Board (MAERB).
Our Medical Assisting Certificate program is one of the few programs that allows students to be credentialed by the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) and as a result of our qualified instructors, we currently have a 97% exam pass rate and 100% student job placement rate.
Medical Assisting Requirements
All Medical Assisting students must successfully pass a mandatory background check and drug screen in order to participate and be placed in a clinical setting.
- Successful background check and drug screen (instructions will be provided in MAP-140)
- Immunization records including proof of MMR vaccinations (2 shots or titer)
- Proof of negative TB test within the past year
- Proof of 3 Hepatitis B vaccination or titer
- Proof of current season flu shot
- Proof of varicella/chickenpox immunization (2 shots or titer)
- Proof of tetanus shot (within past 10 years)
- Copy of current CPR for the Healthcare Provider certification
- Signed Colorado Mountain College Waiver (instructor will provide)
- Signed Worker’s Compensation Form (instructor will provide)
- Signed Technical Abilities Description for Medical Assisting (instructor will provide)
- Health Questionnaire (instructor will provide)
- Signed Student Policy Manual (instructor will provide)
- Successfully complete an unpaid Internship (after all coursework completed)